isolating a bleeding chicken...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueheaven, Dec 26, 2011.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i have an injured hen. will isolating her for a week throw off the balance once she is back with the other chickens?

she is bleeding, so i do not want the others going at her.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, it probably will. It did for one I had to isolate for a few weeks, even though she remained in sight and sound of the flock, separated only by chicken wire. Another one only required isolation for the better part of a day before the wound was no longer visibly bloody (with the help of BluKote) and in that case it didn't seem to matter.

When a bully hen is isolated to alter her behavior, it is usually recommended to isolate her for a week, so that by then she is at the bottom of the pecking order.

If there is any way you can get her back sooner, the reintroduction should be easier on her. I do understand this depends on how extensive the wound is, of course.

Good luck.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:X2

4. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    she is bloody all over. never had this happen. she is 40ft away, but can all can see her and she can see them.
    i am leaving tomorrow and will have a sitter at the house, but don't think she will be able to care for the chicken - leggs!

she has stopped bleeding from what i can tell, but she is a white leghorn and white mixed with blood = a mess. could not wash it off of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by