Songster
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
stumptown CA
Clairice is almost broody
wee.gif
, laying the last of her clutch then sitting on her eggs after
D.gif
,her fecies/poop is coming out in big blobs and isnt that a sign??? a nasty sign
sickbyc.gif
! but shes not totaly broody yet and she is only being squacky to my other chicken. so i seperated them
th.gif
.i locked clair in the coop [where she and marley stayed then they were chicks] and marley outside with a nesting box for her eggs.they both usually sleep on the roost outside but i put clair in the coop till shes totaly broody and to protect marley
somad.gif
shes fine around humans.shes starting to notice me when i open the coop window
ep.gif
.but shes never pecked anyone.so im wondering if isolation is a bad idea? i found the idea on several different websites.but is it cruel?!? i dont think so, you?
duc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Broodies generally prefer to be on their own once they are ready to set. Other hens hopping in and out of their nest is annoying to them.

I can't say that I have separated by broody hens from everyone else unless she is sitting on eggs. She usually growls and gives the other girls heck when they try to get in her nesting box, but the others don't mind, I guess. They keep going back.

Anyway, I can understand wanting to separate them so the other hen doesn't get hurt, but since you only have two, and they are used to being together, I think they might get too lonely.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but since chickens are social birds, I would keep an eye on them to see how they act. If they don't seem to mind being alone then separation should be ok.

Those are just my thoughts.

Good luck and maybe someone else will chime in with their opinions.

Angie

Back
Top Bottom