Issue with duck’s feet

SunshineGal

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
My daughter has 2 white ducks, male and female, about 2 years old. She noticed the feet on the female, managed to get her (they love her but don’t like being picked up), and took these pictures. They live on a spring fed lake. Does anyone know what this could be? She’s so worried about her.

Attachments

• 926232A7-AE68-4978-9E4A-CCD08F82CD66.jpeg
    926232A7-AE68-4978-9E4A-CCD08F82CD66.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 10
  • D9F01ACD-A55C-4368-B963-707E91CB78B9.jpeg
    D9F01ACD-A55C-4368-B963-707E91CB78B9.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 7AEA9100-09F5-4126-863E-CE0A0A4D29CF.jpeg
    7AEA9100-09F5-4126-863E-CE0A0A4D29CF.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 4
My daughter has 2 white ducks, male and female, about 2 years old. She noticed the feet on the female, managed to get her (they love her but don’t like being picked up), and took these pictures. They live on a spring fed lake. Does anyone know what this could be? She’s so worried about her.
I would think bumble foot.

Is there evidence of a scab where she may have stepped on something? that is usually how bumble starts there is a wound or opening from stepping on something then bacteria gets in and starts bumble[staff infection] I'd pen her and the other one and start her on treatment once you figure out where the bumble started . Most of the time there will be a scab that shows where it all started. But there are exceptions my Runner had bumble and there was no place that showed an opening where it started. Only a hard knot inside her foot. I took her to the vet since I had never seen a bumble like that. The vet [not an avian ve]t put her on antibiotics and Meloxicam. I ended up having to open the bumble and getting the infection out.
That is several very swollen bumblefoot infections. She's going to need quite a bit of care to heal all of those. You can find lots of threads here on dealing with bumblefoot. A vet might be best if you can make that work.
Thank you. My daughter is an ARNP and has nursed injured and sick pets over the years. Most survive; occasionally one or two don’t make it but she’s such a caring person. She’ll do her best with this duck too. She took her lunch hour today and bought all the necessary dressings and medicine she needed. Now we wait and pray🙏🙏

Is there evidence of a scab where she may have stepped on something? that is usually how bumble starts there is a wound or opening from stepping on something then bacteria gets in and starts bumble[staff infection] I'd pen her and the other one and start her on treatment once you figure out where the bumble started . Most of the time there will be a scab that shows where it all started. But there are exceptions my Runner had bumble and there was no place that showed an opening where it started. Only a hard knot inside her foot. I took her to the vet since I had never seen a bumble like that. The vet [not an avian ve]t put her on antibiotics and Meloxicam. I ended up having to open the bumble and getting the infection out.

Thank you so much for the explanation. That would have been my next question as to what to do. 😊

That is several very swollen bumblefoot infections. She's going to need quite a bit of care to heal all of those. You can find lots of threads here on dealing with bumblefoot. A vet might be best if you can make that work.
Yes they are and we’re very worried. The ducks are my 15 yr old grandson’s babies. He loves them so much. Are you able to read my previous reply to CoryM? I’m a little rusty on replying and posting lol. Anyway, thank you for your reply. I hope to have good news to share in a week or two!

Back
Top Bottom