Issues with D.I.Y Waterer: any suggestions?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So since we have an in-garage coop we decided to make the food and water as clean and unobtrusive as possible. We saw somewhere that you can have water run through pipes and put nipples or cups for access, and have a large container holding water feeding into these pipes. The container is kind of supposed to sit on top of the water and create a kind of vacuum and just keep the pipes full until it’s drained. However, when we try to put the container of water into the pipes, the water leaks out and causes a mess. Now we just fill up the pipe every other day.

We would like for it to have a larger capacity for water so that we don’t have to forget to fill it up.
Does anyone know why the vacuum isn’t working? How can I fix it? Is there a simple way I can increase the capacity of water it carrys?

Here is a pic of what is should look like and here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• B0A0E485-66FB-4607-B5BD-7015717D9437.jpeg
    B0A0E485-66FB-4607-B5BD-7015717D9437.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 16
That's what I switched to, too. OP seems to be having issues with the actual physics of the DIY setup. I'm thinking the bend in the PVC.
Yea, the issue is with the vacuum, the cups are working fine right now.
We just tested out a smaller, more cone shaped water bottle, and the vacuum held. Like this:

27EFBC3F-5AF2-4459-8AA0-FFCA72FA765C.jpeg
The previous tank that leaked was much larger (5 gal, I think) and kind of rectangular shaped. Like this except rectangular:

EAB818EA-3BF0-4C10-8417-562BBAF38BAC.jpeg

Yea, the issue is with the vacuum, the cups are working fine right now.
We just tested out a smaller, more cone shaped water bottle, and the vacuum held. Like this:

View attachment 3340836
The previous tank that leaked was much larger (5 gal, I think) and kind of rectangular shaped. Like this except rectangular:

View attachment 3340838
I bet I'm onto something. That bend in the pipe might be causing the flow to slow just enough to cause back up with the larger bottle. But, gosh, what a great idea!

I bet I'm onto something. That bend in the pipe might be causing the flow to slow just enough to cause back up with the larger bottle. But, gosh, what a great idea!
I think you’re right! I’ll just have to keep using a smaller bottle. I’ll see if two gallons works once I get my hands on a two gallon bottle

Back
Top Bottom