Issues with D.I.Y Waterer: any suggestions?

That is a great idea. I may steal it.
I’d say this little pipe system is great for small flocks and coops! We raised the pipe far enough from the coop floor that the cups don’t get dirty from chickens kicking shavings into them. It’s nice and out of the way.

Water should flow just fine through those bends as long as there’s no obstructions inside, it’s not like a chicken drinking out of those watering cups is going to pull much volume.
My waterer system is basically the same thing and doesn’t rely on vacuum (I have an article showing how I made it) the top of my tank is not sealed and it works just fine as long as the water cups are clean of debris. My water cups are a different shape but I’d assume the guts are basically the same thing in all of those

On your system I’d try swapping in one of those rubber pipe adapters between the PVC and tank, so it can’t leak there. Could probably even use an o-ring to help make a seal so it holds vacuum

Last edited:
Why does that system rely on vacuum to function?
My waterer system is basically the same thing and doesn’t rely on vacuum (I have an article showing how I made it) the top of my tank is not sealed and it works just fine as long as the water cups are clean of debris. My water cups are a different shape but I’d assume the guts are basically the same thing in all of those

On your system I’d try swapping in one of those rubber pipe adapters between the PVC and tank, so it can’t leak there
it just relies on the vacuum so I can add extra space for water. We couldn’t quite find a piece that would snugly fit the tank to keep it from leaking. I’ll think about getting a rubber pipe adapter, that sounds like a good idea

Water should flow just fine through those bends as long as there’s no obstructions inside, it’s not like a chicken drinking out of those watering cups is going to pull much volume.

On your system I’d try swapping in one of those rubber pipe adapters between the PVC and tank, so it can’t leak there. Could probably even use an o-ring to help make a seal so it holds vacuum
This :goodpost:The problem is that the inverted bottle neck must be submerged within the pipe far enough to equalize at a level in the neck and tube. OR it needs to create a seal. The water bottle worked because the cheaper plastic is easily contorted and the shape facilitates a better seal.
Rubber pipe adaptor is a great idea and will hold up in temp extremes.
The cups are irrelevant.
Good luck.

This :goodpost:The problem is that the inverted bottle neck must be submerged within the pipe far enough to equalize at a level in the neck and tube. OR it needs to create a seal. The water bottle worked because the cheaper plastic is easily contorted and the shape facilitates a better seal.
Rubber pipe adaptor is a great idea and will hold up in temp extremes.
The cups are irrelevant.
Good luck.
Oh thanks! That pretty much explains everything. And also explains why a more cone or curved shaped bottle/tank would work. I’ll either try a larger, different shaped bottle or get a rubber adapter. Thanks all for the help!

Back
Top Bottom