Issues with Welded Wire Fencing - I need help

TreeHugger

Songster
Apr 7, 2008
I am redoing my chicken run using 6' welded wire fencing. The pen will be 40' by 32' when complete. I used 8 ft wooden posts & set them 2' down in concrete. The posts are set 10' apart. I figured this would be fine since there will be nothing pushing on the fence. Anyhow this welded wire fence is a pain to put up. I've put up one section of the 32' feet so far. I enlisted my parents to help. Anyhow, my dad made a 6' fence stretcher out of 2x4s to pull it since he didn't think his regular 4' stretchers would work. However, once we tacked the fence to the posts we lost tension. It's all filmsy now. **The wooden posts did not move. My mom insisted that the welded wire was the hardest fencing to put up. She put it around her garden years ago & said it was a pain. Also, she said that since mine was 6' tall it made it worse. Anyhow, does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to get this fence to be tighter? Has anyone else had the same issues with the welded wire or is it just me?

When you stretch the wire, you need to put 3 or 4 steeples in various place, (1 towards the top, 1 towards the middle and 1 towards the bottom) and nail them in tight before you let off the stretcher. It sounds like youre wire just slipped in you steeples.

The fence was secured in place before it was taken off the stretcher. I put steeples all the way down the fence before it was taken off & it was tight until the stretcher was released. I've put up regular cattle fencing & I've never had this problem. This is the first time I've used welded wire & at this rate it will be the last. Is there anyone out there who has used the 6' foot stuff with good results?

We have used it with good results, and never had that problem, I dont know what else to tell you.
ETA: If you had it nailed good, sounds to me like your posts had to give a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think if you didnt brace the corner posts that they moved,(leaned in the direction that your pullin in) try putting a level on them and check, if they did then your gonna need to brace the corners.

Do you know anyway to fix it without having to take it all down & stretch it again? I can't feel any wiggle to the posts at all & the corner ones are set in 80 lbs of concrete. I was thinking about cramming boards along the top of the fence between to posts to maybe push them out a little. We have had quite a bit of rain in the last month, I'm starting to think the ground was wet enough to let the posts move even though they were set. I might have to wait until the ground starts to harden up to do the rest.

Yep, I didn't brace them either - I was hoping I could get away without doing that since they were only 30 - 40 feet sections. My dad suggested that - I guess I should start listening.

You can possibly put a brace post in and drive it down against your post and tighten it up some that way. But dont know if you will be able to get it tight enough without taking the fence loose and restretching.

Back
Top Bottom