Issues with Welded Wire Fencing - I need help

Glad I read this. We are putting up our run using t-posts and 4 foot tall welded utility wire fencing. I was planing on the posts being 8 feet apart, but I might move them to 4 feet apart.

Last edited:
Schroeder - I guarentee you I'm the wrong person to answer this, but.... I would think it would be best to put the wood posts on the corners with bracing, especially on the 60' sides. However, I don't know if there is anything to that can convert three metal posts to form a corner. Don't worry about hijacking the thread - I've done it before
smile.png

i know how to fix it.

first make sure that your corners are well braced..

now go to the saggy part and take a pair of pliers and kink the wires.
just grab a wire and twist 90 degrees.. you will have a Z or N shape bend in the wire . repeat this on several wires until things get tight. all you are doing is shortening the wire by about 1/2" at each kink..

Quote:
take a couple of 2x4 and drill large enough holes in them to fit your T post through. drill the holes the same distace apart as the base of the posts are. this will space the first post each way from the corner post.. then jam a diagonal brace from the bottom of the corner post to the top of the first post..

You can use heavier than 2x4 if you have them..

hope this makes sense..

Quote:
That might be worth a try in a pinch but I can't see it lasting long. Anything bent that easily can easily become un-done. I think it would be a great "Plan-B" if the initial stretching didn't work.

Quote:
That might be worth a try in a pinch but I can't see it lasting long. Anything bent that easily can easily become un-done. I think it would be a great "Plan-B" if the initial stretching didn't work.

those kinks are in some of my fences and cages for 35 years.

Quote:

those kinks are in some of my fences and cages for 35 years.

If you don't have a lot of anything pushing against the fence (leaning livestock, or heavy wind load for long times, or etc) that can indeed last a long time, IME. Assuming this is pretty heavy gauge wire.

I am unconvinced whether it's *necessarily* going to be enough to permanently stiffen the fence top in your situation but if you don't mind the look and the fact that you're likely to damage the galvanization in some of the places you make the bends, it would be worth a try.

Pat

when I build cages out of a wood frame and chicken wire,I kink the wire to tighten it like a drum..

I have done this like I said, for 35 years.

this is my last post on the subject.
you asked me how,,,, I told you.. I do not need someone who admits that he has never done it to tell me that it won't work.. It will and it does,,, with ANY guage wire..

If you do not want to try it,,fine..

done

Quote:

When kinking the wire I'm sure you could add zip ties or those metal clamps used to attach wire together when making rabbit hutches (you just gotta get big enough clamps). That way you don't have a fear of the wire unbending.

Back
Top Bottom