It’s soooooo ccccccccoooooollllddd!

CatWhisperer

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 16, 2013
northwest Arkansas
We are expecting single digit night temperatures and highs for several days in the teens. I hate the polar vortex! I have several silkies and seramas ( and Polish) that don’t tolerate the cold as well as larger and normal feathered birds. Does anyone know at what temperature I should bring them in? I certainly don’t want to loose any but I also don’t want them to suffer from being too cold when I can bring them indoors either. I don’t worry about my other chickens, just these special cases. They are in insulated coops at night but free range during the day.

We've been having -4'F high temps, we are expected to have -18'F for lows this weekend. It's been 4 days of hellish weather 🥶 and we have 7 more days of it. It's torture. :hit
You do have some fragile birds, can you give them some more bedding? Is their any way to offer some heat in the coop?

I have flat panel heaters in the coops but they only raise the temperature maybe 5 degrees and there is lots of bedding.
Hello! How did the Silkies and Seramas do in the cold? Did you use the panel heaters and extra bedding or bring them inside? I am needing to have plans for when we get too cold for our Silkies and Seramas. Thanks!

Hello! How did the Silkies and Seramas do in the cold? Did you use the panel heaters and extra bedding or bring them inside? I am needing to have plans for when we get too cold for our Silkies and Seramas. Thanks!
I bring some of them indoors when it is brutally cold. Some I leave out when i know the will be sleeping next to bigger chickens.

Back
Top Bottom