No one is laying anymore?

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
Our flock consists of seven laying hens two separated roosters, and a retired old Polish. I currently live at college and don’t see these birds regularly anymore. They laid consistantly over the summer but now that the cold season is in, they’ve all stopped. I’ve suggested increasing their feed since they were moved to a run and don’t free-range regularly anymore. My mom has tried some supplements but she says they’re uninterested in feed and will leave feed uneaten morning and night. I don’t…I don’t know what to do because I don’t know what’s going on? From what I’ve seen, their feathers seem okay and their comb colors are good but parasites are still possible. I haven’t had a chance to check them for that. Is there anything else that would cause all of them to stop laying after a consistent day-to-day schedule?

Our flock consists of seven laying hens two separated roosters, and a retired old Polish. I currently live at college and don’t see these birds regularly anymore. They laid consistantly over the summer but now that the cold season is in, they’ve all stopped. I’ve suggested increasing their feed since they were moved to a run and don’t free-range regularly anymore. My mom has tried some supplements but she says they’re uninterested in feed and will leave feed uneaten morning and night. I don’t…I don’t know what to do because I don’t know what’s going on? From what I’ve seen, their feathers seem okay and their comb colors are good but parasites are still possible. I haven’t had a chance to check them for that. Is there anything else that would cause all of them to stop laying after a consistent day-to-day schedule?
What part of the country are your chickens in? How cold is the cold season?

We're in Colorado, front range Rockies... my 5 oldest hens were laying pretty consistently over summer, especially my Leghorn, but all have totally stopped, and I have 13 pullets who haven't started yet.

I've tried more/ better feed, including sprouted grains, mealworms, and calcium in addition to their organic scratch and All Flock feed... keeping their nesting boxes full of nice straw, and putting those heated mats around for them to lay on if they're cold... still no eggs in about a month. I figured it's because of the cold weather and short daylight hours, though a couple of my old girls are probably done anyhow.

I don't know where you are located or the ages and breeds of your hens but all those are a factor. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, day length is decreasing rapidly now. That is what causes cessation of laying this time of year. Cold has next to nothing to do with it.
They shouldn't need more feed. Chickens eat when they are hungry and that is when the crop is empty. They will only forage, scratch and nibble when they aren't hungry.
I have to ask how old the feed is, the mill date on the bag. Chickens may ignore old feed. If it is over 3 months old, you may need new feed.

Another case where knowing your general location could be good information, both for weather and whether you are north or south of the equator.

How old are those hens? When did they start laying? When did they quit? Was it all of them all at once or was it sort of spread out?

It is possible they are hiding a nest from you or something is getting the eggs but if you are north of the equator this time of the year it is almost certainly the molt. They stop laying eggs and use the nutrition that was going into the egg production to regrow worn out feathers. They have been doing that since before they were domesticated.

Sorry I forgot to include where I am lol. It’s been a minute since I’ve been here. I’m in north GA. And upon examination since I’m currently home at the moment, several of the birbs are starting to molt, so there’s one reason for a few of them to stop.

Back
Top Bottom