It’s that time again: chick delivery

Mehpenn

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Gastonia, NC
Ah. The never ending quest to identify mixed shipments of hatchery chicks.
Ordered two RIR, four white leghorns, four Ameracauna’s, three Black Star pullets and got the one ‘mystery chick”…..
RIR and Leghorns are easy.
I thought the Black Star would be easy…but then I ended up with five black, two gray and a brown.
So I know three of the black ones are Black Stars…just not sure which three?
I assume the gray are ameracaunas. I initially through the brown was Ameracauna but now I’m not sure. That leaves two of the black chicks and the brown chick as undetermined.
Thoughts?
IMG_5147.jpeg
IMG_5082.jpeg
IMG_5133.jpeg
IMG_5134.jpeg
IMG_5143.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpeg
IMG_5135.jpeg
IMG_5147.jpeg IMG_5082.jpeg IMG_5133.jpeg IMG_5134.jpeg IMG_5143.jpeg IMG_5136.jpeg IMG_5135.jpeg
IMG_5138.jpeg

Where did you get them from?
The brown one is probably your mystery chick. It’s just harder to tell what it is without knowing where it’s from.
The blue ones are probably your “Ameraucanas”. More likely than not, they are actually Easter Eggers.
From your pictures, I see that at least one black chick is an Easter Egger. An easy way to tell which black chicks are EEs or Black Stars is by the comb type. The Black Stars will have single combs and the EEs will have pea combs.

The brown one is probably your mystery chick. It’s just harder to tell what it is without knowing where it’s from.
The blue ones are probably your “Ameraucanas”. More likely than not, they are actually Easter Eggers.
From your pictures, I see that at least one black chick is an Easter Egger. An easy way to tell which black chicks are EEs or Black Stars is by the comb type. The Black Stars will have single combs and the EEs will have pea combs.
McMurray hatchery.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom