It could be meraks but maybe not..need some experienced help w/syringe

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
So my Buff orpington, Mabel (19weeks) has been sleepier, laying in the corner, crop is medium, drinking some water, when prodded to be in with other girls she just stands there - no pecking for food, not wobbly (yet) no paralysis (yet) since yesterday

We had purchased our first 4 chickens from a local breeder that had, unbenounced to us she had meraks on her farm. 2 of our girls from her died of meraks. We've gotten 8 more chickens from another local source and they have all been amazingly healthy till yesterday when Mabel starting acting un-chicken-like.

We have a syringe of Tylan from our latest source but I'm terrified to use it and don't quite know how to do it (she gave me instructions but I need confirmation) (also I've read a few threads on the subjet but I'd love a direct response on how/when to administer the syringe) and I'm happy to do the Vit e/selenium and B complex. So should I try both or do we think it's meraks.

It's nighttime and I put her on the roost tonight so she's warm and cozy with her friends. Should I try to do the shot tonight?? I hate this part I love her so and wanted a BO since the beggining of my chicken infatuation but we've lost 2 others to this now. ( are they possibly a breed that has less imunities)

Update: Mabel passed last night, we'll send her to UC Davis for diagnosis. Are Buff Orpingtons a less strong breed, a lower immune system maybe? We've lost 3 BOs now and none of our other girls

Last edited:
hugs.gif
about your Mabel. I don't think Buff Orpington's are less hardy than other breeds. I have 4, and other than the current peritonitis problem with one of them, they have been great.

It doesn't sound like she has any symptoms of marek's. Lethargy can be caused by a bunch of things.

What does her poo look like?

Is her crop full or empty?

She's a little young to be laying, but it's possible that something in her egg-laying machine is starting/ having problems. Is that pic current, or is her comb/wattles more red?

How are her feet/legs? Any bumblefoot going on?

It's possible that she may need antibiotics, but it would be better to try to figure out why this is happening than start giving antibiotics as a shot in the dark.

Tell us more.
fl.gif

Quote:
can't determine her poo
crop was only medium tonight, not full like the others, but still had something in it
the picture is current she hasn't matured past that...
her feet and legs seem to be fine, no wobbly yet...don't know about bumblefoot but I'll search for it's description
That's really all I know she's been non-reactive is the best description, I've inspected for lice and worms, nothing there

Here is Ruth's thread on bumblefoot. Check the bottom of her foot for swelling and a scab.

If you are going to give Tylan, you will need more than one syringe. One dose will not be enough.

If you can get a look at her feet, and at her POO (really important) it will be easier to determine what, if any antibiotic to give. For a how to on giving an injection, here is a my detailed explanation for someone else just a couple days ago. They were using Pen G, but the mechanics of giving an injection would be the same for any intramuscular med...
please see post #13 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=265086&p=2

this its cocci so didin't give the injection, instead treating with amprol 128 and a bit of sugar in the water. I brought her into the office so I can treat her every hour.

no actually my breeder came by tonight and listened to her breathing and thinks it s arespiritory thing. so she gave her tylan and i have 3 more days to give her she' sleeping with her friends tonight she seems a bit better, we'll see what the morning brings..you guys know what this is like...

Back
Top Bottom