It figures...

emmyeagle

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Central New Mexico
The one night I forgot to close the coop. 4am a neighbors dog came over and almost got my ducks. My drake hid under the shed but his girl wasn't fast enough. She was injured as a duckling and can't run very well. But I was woken by the ruckus and got to her in time. Good thing is that she wasn't injured too bad. If I had a gun, that dog would be history. Now I can't let anyone roam freely over our 2 acres since that dog keeps jumping the fence. So everyone is in a 12x12 area. Hopefully that dog won't get into it. He better not, because I will kick him into next month! I will let neighbor know that if he is over here again, he might not make it home. Ok... done with my rant & learned my lesson that no matter what... I need to close that coop!

I had it happen to me didn't lock coop pop hole properly and fox came and killed all my girls. How I kicked myself afterwards :he. I think you are well within your rights to shoot the dog if it comes back again. The blooming fox came back in our garden for several nights after it's killing spree. Needless to say it was caught several nights later and shot. Glad you have learned your lesson without any loses I wish I had.

My dog has killed 4 of my chickens on 2 different days. We couldn't figure out how he kept getting into the backyard & finally found the spot & fixed it. That was 2 months ago. He goes outside on a chain now. This neighbors dog jumps a 6 foot fence as easily as a deer. Sigh.

Yes here in New Mexico, we can shoot any dog that is killing or harrassing livestock.

We have jack Russell's and they are not too bad when the chickens are older it's when they are about 6 weeks when I put them outside in coop and run on grass that they attract the most attention from my elderly lady!! She not so elderly then. Also she has killed my quail before pulled it through the wire then proceeded to death roll it on the lawn. Your next door dog sounds like it is crossed with a deer jumpy 6 foot. Love your avatar do you have polish?

Last edited:
Yep! That's Babs, little bantam polish. She is so sweet. Almost was a casualty to my dog, but I caught him in the act & saved her. She got away with only a broken wing. All better now & waiting for her to lay.

She looks lovely I have 5 that I'm waiting for but they only hatched 27 May this year. Your right about them being sweet. Mine love to be with you and I've turned into a polish addict got another 10 in incubator on day 16. More the merrier :yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom