It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

BB guns don't get the point acroos to large dogs with a high prey drive. I have a neighbor that has repeatedly shot the 2 problem dogs in our area with a pellet gun. They still kept coming back to menace his animals.

Good to know - my hubbie and I have thought about purchasing a BB gun for that reason as we had been told it usually works. I'll now reconsider!​

Quote:
There ya go!!! Don't forget to add in your lost wages for filing, appearing, etc plus mileage. Get all you can.

Btw, if the dog comes back on your property in the mean time, bust a cap in it and still go to small claims. You have history of the dog killing your animals.

After losing 16 chickens in one day to two free-running hunting dogs, my attitude towards dogs on the loose changed drastically. I used to be o.k. with it, but if they kill one of mine, that makes them fair game- because have no doubt- they will be back. My dogs are restained- only fair that others should be as well. Put on the receiving end of that- I had Russian wolfhounds years ago that killed a neighbor's goat- cost me 150.00 at that time (20 years ago). Not an easy fee to come up with as a newlywed, but we never let the dogs run free again, either. Sorry for your loss, but if you don't do something now, it may only get worse.

I don't own a dog, but why do some people seem to think that dogs are like spoiled naughty little children that are allowed to do what they want with no consequences.
smack.gif

Quote:
Good to know - my hubbie and I have thought about purchasing a BB gun for that reason as we had been told it usually works. I'll now reconsider!

Another problem with paintball guns and bb guns is that it is not considered humane to bruise or injure a dog. Shooting to kill is legal, but shooting to injure is considered animal abuse in many jurisdictions. It's stupid, but that's the way it is. If the dog gets a bb lodged under the skin that gets infected or if it has a painful bruise, you could be accused of cruelty. Just get a real gun.

I own 2 dogs, a lab and a Chessapeak Bay retriever. The chessie has a very strong mind of her own and likes to run. Occassionally on the neighbors property. She has run up and smelled the horses over there but never bit anything. However, the neighbor did tell me they will shoot her if she's over there again. She hasn't been (thank god puppyhood is over) but if they did shoot her I would completely understand! It is MY JOB as a pet owner to confine/restrain/train this dog.

having said that, I would not hesitate to shoot a dog in my yard. And I'm not shy about letting the neighbors know that. I have 3 goats, they are not fancy prize winners, they are my weed-eaters. They are kept fenced to protect them not contain them. One was attacked by a dog when I wasn't home, It got through the fencing that I put up to keep her safe, she was bitten but only once and in the front which means she didn't run away but stood and fought. A goat head hurts when they butt you like they mean it. I was very lucky, I have many firends who have come home to their expensive show or dairy stock ripped apart all over the yard. I don't know whose dog it was, so I can't go do anything about it but pay the vet.

My suggestion would be to tell the neighbor A) You know her dog did the damage. B) Here's the bill for the fence and the replacement of your bird. C) We will shoot to protect our livestock and D) File the complaint and be sure you have animal control inform her you have the right to defend your property.

I wouldn't worry about disrupting the peace in the neighborhood because it has been my experience that there really isn't any peace when a dog or dogs are running free. Wether they are eating animals or just pooping on lawns, only the owner of an unruly dog has any real love for it.

Quote:
Good to know - my hubbie and I have thought about purchasing a BB gun for that reason as we had been told it usually works. I'll now reconsider!

Another problem with paintball guns and bb guns is that it is not considered humane to bruise or injure a dog. Shooting to kill is legal, but shooting to injure is considered animal abuse in many jurisdictions. It's stupid, but that's the way it is. If the dog gets a bb lodged under the skin that gets infected or if it has a painful bruise, you could be accused of cruelty. Just get a real gun.

If you are afraid of firearms and don't have the heart to kill. Bear spray will do the job much better than a bb gun. I highly doubt with a tough hide on a dog they would even feel a bb. Shooting with a shotgun IS the best option but again I understand that some people just can't kill or are afraid of guns.

You could also use a humane baited trap and then take the animal to the pound or have them pick it up.

Last edited:
No we are not afraid to use a gun. I've been hunting for many years and don't have a problem shooting anything that needs shot. It is not that I want to shoot it, but I cannot let this animal continue to kill my girls and possibly our goats. I probably wouldn't be at this point if she would have owned up to the fact that her dof did this. She was on my property no less than 3 times and did not knock or call. There were 2 vehicles in the drive when she pulled in. This is an act that I cannot tolerate. I am worried about what is to come if this dog is not controlled. Shooting him is a last resort. She has been warned many times by the dog warden abut her dogs being lose and she always denies it. We are aware that we can shootin our area. If my hubby had been aware this would all be over.
somad.gif

I did call and speak with the other neighbor that witnessed it.( It ended up being their Husky, not the boxer, so I had to correct myself to the dog warden. ) But the plot thickens. While talking to the witness, I told her that I wouldn't be so upset if she had atleast apologized. you are going to love this. She said, well she didn't apologize when it killed my brother's chicken!!!!!!
somad.gif
What?!?!?!? Then she proceded to tell me that the guy that has a mini farm behind me has brought it back about 4 times because it had killed or tried to kill his animals. Hello, am I the only one here that sees the problem? She said they didn't report it cause they didn't think that it would do any good and were just planning on shooting the dog if it came back. I told her that she had ticked off the wrong person this time, cause I wasn't just laying dow with this. She said that she would think about filing a statement. Are ya kidding me?!?!?!
he.gif
barnie.gif
I have to call the dog warden back on monday. Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom