It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

mgibbzzz

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Somerset, OH
I always considered myself lucky because I hadn't had to deal with any preditors. Not anymore. The neighbors boxer went THRU our electric fence and was caught by another neighbor killing one of my Black Austrolorps. She heard the neighbor yelling for the dog and looked over. She watched her get in her car, drive down our driveway, yell at the dog again, which wasn't stopping.Then she got back into her car, went to the other neighbors driveway and threw dog treats at it!!!! Come on What dog is going to say oh wait I am going to stop killing this tastey chicken for that dog treat?!?!?!? Finally she climbed over the fence, which isn't working there because her dog destroyed it. Finally, she pulls the dog off and gets it into her car and goes home! Ok. There is RARELY a moment when there is not someone at home. My parents recently moved in with us due to their health issues. So, dh is in the barn with the new fair goats and he said that he heard her yelling for the dog, but that was it. But, of course she is always yelling for one of her dogs. The dog warden has been out to warn and site her several times. I am so mad. I mean, there are 2 vehicles in the driveway and you ignore that and go home?!?!?

I don't think that I would be so angry if she would have came up and said hey, look, I am sorry that my dog got in your fence and killed your chicken. But, noooo. So I called the dog catcher and he said to site her, we have to have the other neighbor file a statement of what she saw. Without that he can only warn her, but he did give us permission to shoot the dog if it comes back. I am worried that it will get either my chicks, duckling or even the kids that were just born next time. They are all in the same pen.

I am at odds here, because I did a head count this morning. I am missing 2 Black Austrolorp and 1 Delaware, one of which is my mischievious Matilda. My hubby removed her before I got home because he knew how upset I would be if I saw her. I am so worried that the dog killed my poor Matilda. I just hope taht I can get the other neighbor to file a tatement so that justice can be served

I sure hope you can get what you need from the other neighbor. Wow she knew someone was home and didn"t stop. I can't belive it. Not a great neighbor.

If there have been problems with the dog before the owner has been given a chance to keep the animal contained and has not done it. Yes shooting is worth it. I would do it in a heartbeat (unfortunatley its illegal for me to shoot an inconsiderate neighbor). I've had to deal with tooo many dog issues, if it attacks my animals its fair game!

Last edited:
I have had my dogs escape and go up to the chickens when our neighbors are home. It is extremley embarassing and we usually stop and talk to the kid who owns them. He just sits and watches, our dogs have killed a couple of their birds and it feels awful to know that.

I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
Personally imo if she has had run ins with the dog warden and she killed your chickens I wouldn't hesitate on calling the dog warden and filing a complaint. She is the owner and needs to take resposabilty for her animals. If she can't I am sure someone else could adopt the dog and can.

If you don't want to shoot the dog, catch it. Call animal control or take it to the pound yourself. You don't have to speculate who's dog it is. I've taken one of my neighbors dogs to the pound and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Quote:
Her chickens are her chosen pets. The neighbor chose the boxer as a pet. The life of the boxer is no more valuable than the chickens, especially since its owner doesn't even care enough about it to keep in their own yard. Any neighborhood fighting is being caused by the dog owner , not the OP. We have a neighbor with 2 dogs that have been loose a number of times. Once they killed another neighbor's dog. On 2 other occasions they injured other people's dogs. One bit a child once. Then they came and killed 13 of my chickens. Yes, those dogs will be shot if I ever see them on my property. Yes, it will be worth it. Trying to be a good neighbor is important, but nobody should be a doormat.

Quote:
Her chickens are her chosen pets. The neighbor chose the boxer as a pet. The life of the boxer is no more valuable than the chickens, especially since its owner doesn't even care enough about it to keep in their own yard. Any neighborhood fighting is being caused by the dog owner , not the OP. We have a neighbor with 2 dogs that have been loose a number of times. Once they killed another neighbor's dog. On 2 other occasions they injured other people's dogs. One bit a child once. Then they came and killed 13 of my chickens. Yes, those dogs will be shot if I ever see them on my property. Yes, it will be worth it. Trying to be a good neighbor is important, but nobody should be a doormat.

You bring up a good point here. She didn't care.

Back
Top Bottom