It finally happened (long rant, sorry)

Let me say a little bit about dogs--To me thay are one of the best creatures that walks But, with out a pack leader(human) they can be the biggest nucience on earth. The one thing I just don't understand is people say they love there dogs but, they let them run free..to do what ever they please which includes destroying other peoples property. I could not function knowing my dog that I quote "LOVE" is running the streets. We have loose dog issues in the area, they come out at nite and do there damage. I say do what you can to prosacute the owner then shoot the dog and put it out of its misery. Its really sad.. Dogs do want a leader hes doing this out of boredom.
barnie.gif
Sure my GSD will kill chickens if left with them unattended. Chickens are prey they have "eat me" written on them. My birds are behind a 6' fence, my dog's part of the yard is also fenced with 6' fence. He is a young boy with a lot of prey drive. Prey drive is needed in a dog so they will give chase. Some lines are for herding but, where I live I need something to keep the bad humans out.
rant.gif

I have to say I've never had that issue near me. All of my neighbors have dogs, and I'm very lucky - all seem to be very careful and never leave them unattended outdoors. We have 3 very large dogs ourselves (the smallest is 100#). They are house dogs, and are not allowed outside without us. I know for a fact they would kill one of my chickens if left unattended. So I don't leave them unattended. Doesn't seem that difficult, but I know sometimes they get away. I'm very sorry for your losses...it breaks my heart to hear about these things happening. I sort of feel sorry for the dog, though. Seems like it just doens't have a good pack leader. Dogs will be dogs...sometimes...unfortunately.
sad.png

I have a boxer and I know that a BB gun or Pellet gun isn't going to slow her down on anything she is 'after'. she is contained and rarely runs free out of our yard. maybe 3 times a year, and she runs down the road then comes back. but if she did go after my new birds, with intent to kill, I don't know if she would be our pet anymore. or we would try doing the dead chicken punishment.

Quote:
Just remember, that in most places it's legal to shoot a dog to kill it, but it's illegal to shoot a dog with anything nonlethal that might cause bruising, etc. If you shoot a dog with a bb/pellet gun or a paintball gun and bruise it or break the skin you risk being charged with cruelty to animals. Most laws state that you can legally shoot to kill, not shoot to harm. Just shoot the dog with a real gun.

Is it possible that boxers are impervious to electric fencing?

I ask this because my golden retriever has been viciously attacked twice by a neighbor's boxer "mix" (I think that may mean part pit bull in this case, but not sure) that has run straight through its electric fencing after my dog, who would have been killed had my husband not been strong enough to loft her 94 lbs. to safety.

Maybe your neighbor needs to understand how far you're willing to go to protect your chickens. My husband told our neighbor that he would not hesitate to kill their dog if it attacked again and so far so good...

So sorry about the loss of your chickens.
sad.png

Quote:
clap.gif

You're welcome at my house anytime!

RlgNorth, countrybum is right "shoot him and just dispose of the body. Nobody ever needs to know." I'm sure there's a glacier or 2 close by that need a speed bump
wink.png

Animal Control in Mat-Su Borough said about the same thing, I can shoot, but I need to shoot to kill not wound, and I need to be defending life or property. He didn't differentiate between animal and person. Or I can trap it and have him come get it. He did also point out that if my girl (92 lb Chessie) kills or injures another dog she must be restrained on her property or she will be taken. That means she must be either behind a fence or on a leash or chain when she attacks and kills the tresspasser. If she is running free, in her unfenced yard, and the neighbor dog comes into our yard and she attacks, she it guilty! So I keep 100 foot of light weight line on her when she's out. I can reach the end and then she's on a leash. She isn't aggressive, but she has a strict no tresspass policy about our yard.
thumbsup.gif

Michelle

Quote:
As I stated, dogs do not care. They have no idea about electric, all they know is they want to get whatever is on the other side. A dog, same as a child, has to be taught and an untaught dog is no different than a spoiled rotten child. Only after the dog goes through thee electric fence does it realize that hurt, or maybe the shock was not even enough to phaise him/her. Dogs are prey animals and just keep going, unless taught different.

I love animals and have taken in many dogs off the street, nursed them back to health and trained them, to allow them to be placed into a good home. But if ever one came in attacking my animals, it would be shot. This property belongs to my animals and it is supposed to be their safe haven, not their butchering ground.

Back
Top Bottom