It happened. I knew it would. The neighbours complained.

Kill your neighbor with kindness. Retaliating in a negative manner simply adds fuel to the fire, giving us peaceful chicken keepers a bad reputation. Now I'm not saying you should compromise your own happiness and bend to their every desire, but if you're just as irritating as they are, how does that make you look? Well, it makes you look just like them. Good luck, check your local ordinances. Just because you are legally allowed to keep your chooks doesn't mean your neighbor can't do anything about it...and if you return the grief they may make it a priority of theirs to try and change those local ordinances so you aren't allowed to have them anymore. Again, good luck.

I am sorry about the neighbor issue, can be so frustrating!
I do not know of anyway to keep the noise down, beside removing most of your roos. Unless, you have different breeds caged seperately.
Best wishes!
smile.png

Some of you are so mean. You're going to cause capvin to hyperventilate. But like most on here I too am a good neighbor. You like my rooster, go to bed at 8:00, don't shoot toward my place, don't party past 9:00, keep your dogs off my place, and don't talk to me unless I call you first, and we get along great. I have called the sheriff to a new neighbor once and nearly got into a pretty good fight with a pile of drunks. But when the bass of any song is rattling the window of my house at 200 yards, you're to darn loud. I admire you're music system but not that much. Out here we do pretty much as we please, but the one thing the law will come drive out here for is loud party people and gun shooting across others places. They even told me in one of their animals, dogs, comes on my place, think about whether that neighbor matters to me, decide and shoot it.

Like I said, I'm a good neighbor. We look out for each other. Where was that bus loading.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I'm not one of those people who can do that. Good for all those who can, but is someone is a jerk, on purpose, especially to my kid, yeah...I cannot make myself be nice to them. I'm not openly rude to them - I wave as we pass each other on the road, etc - but I am not going to get rid of my roosters just to suit them either.

(They've never complained to me, just to our other neighbor, who by the way is my landlord - his response: "they live in the country, what do they expect?")

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

i could never think about eating one of my chickens but i ahve to say that is FUN-EEEEE
lau.gif

I did it to the meanest hens I had, plus one that had a problem with her eggs, they were old and tough (both alive and dead), but they made pretty good soup.​

Quote:
Precisely. That goes directly to one of the two points I hoped to make in my long-winded (sorry 'bout that, it's my nature) post.

Folks can move to the country, and then set about changing the rules to where it ain't gonna be country any longer. Best move is to try to get them into the spirit of life in the country. Occasional, unsolicited gifts of eggs or meat, with no expectation of anything in return.

I count my lucky stars every day to have neighbors with whom I can share food, a helping hand, or lend tools (touchy subject, that one, but we're all of a sort that the tools go home in as good as or better condition than when they were lent -- only one of them has unlimited privileges -- read "the key to my garage" -- in that respect). The best part is that we're neighbors, and nobody keeps any tally of who might be ahead or behind on favors or helping each other. Anyone who feels they're behind will go out of their way to even things up in his/her own mind, just to feel they're holding up their end, while still knowing that nobody's counting. Not a matter of the neighbor's applying pressure. More a matter of doing what's right.

Play it well, and you might be able to bring your neighbor around to a right way of thinking.

Last edited:
Quote:
But with some neighbors, it's impossible to get along. I have city people next door who tore down the farmhouse that's been there for nearly a century, to build a micromansion, complete with in ground pool, and sport courts (basketball court right outside my bedroom window which I never complain about their bazillion kids playing basketball at 8 am or earlier, on Saturday mornings). Or their constant leaf blowing, dogs barking, lawn mowing every time their grass grows 1/2" (literally, the guy mows at LEAST once a week, rain or shine). And their goody-2-shoes brats tease my son about how small our house is, or how he doesn't have a $3,000 play structure, etc - I used to let him go play with them when they first moved in, but after the second time he came home crying (I talked to the mom about it the first time) I can't let him go over there any more.

These people are NOT worth my time or efforts to have "nice" neighborly relations with, they are uptight snooty people, and I don't give a
duc.gif
what they think, or how irritating they think my roosters are.

tell 'em to go back to the city where they belong!
gig.gif

Quote:
But with some neighbors, it's impossible to get along. I have city people next door who tore down the farmhouse that's been there for nearly a century, to build a micromansion, complete with in ground pool, and sport courts (basketball court right outside my bedroom window which I never complain about their bazillion kids playing basketball at 8 am or earlier, on Saturday mornings). Or their constant leaf blowing, dogs barking, lawn mowing every time their grass grows 1/2" (literally, the guy mows at LEAST once a week, rain or shine). And their goody-2-shoes brats tease my son about how small our house is, or how he doesn't have a $3,000 play structure, etc - I used to let him go play with them when they first moved in, but after the second time he came home crying (I talked to the mom about it the first time) I can't let him go over there any more.

These people are NOT worth my time or efforts to have "nice" neighborly relations with, they are uptight snooty people, and I don't give a
duc.gif
what they think, or how irritating they think my roosters are.

tell 'em to go back to the city where they belong!
gig.gif

Oh how I would LOVE to do that very thing!! It was so peaceful here before they came along!!!

Quote:
x2
lau.gif

Actually, it depends on how you feel about your neighbor...if you're friends, give them some eggs or a processed roo & act appropriately 'ashamed.' Ya know what? Strike that--if they were friends they wouldn't complain, living in a rural area.
I say ignore them, or sneak over & put a "for sale" sign in their yard!

buy a chicken from the store tell him it was one of your roosters
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom