It happened. I knew it would. The neighbours complained.

Quote:
But with some neighbors, it's impossible to get along. I have city people next door who tore down the farmhouse that's been there for nearly a century, to build a micromansion, complete with in ground pool, and sport courts (basketball court right outside my bedroom window which I never complain about their bazillion kids playing basketball at 8 am or earlier, on Saturday mornings). Or their constant leaf blowing, dogs barking, lawn mowing every time their grass grows 1/2" (literally, the guy mows at LEAST once a week, rain or shine). And their goody-2-shoes brats tease my son about how small our house is, or how he doesn't have a $3,000 play structure, etc - I used to let him go play with them when they first moved in, but after the second time he came home crying (I talked to the mom about it the first time) I can't let him go over there any more.

These people are NOT worth my time or efforts to have "nice" neighborly relations with, they are uptight snooty people, and I don't give a
duc.gif
what they think, or how irritating they think my roosters are.

Of course I do not need to point out to you that it said "try to get along". Obviously that does not always work. A couple days back I related my story of how an old neighbor set up a bow and arrow range with the target on my lot line and arrows flying thru the back yard. And how I asked him could he move it for safety reasons. And how the next AM he filed a complaint which resulted in the township suing me to get rid of my poultry. I am well aware that some folk just are not able to play well with others. I am just saying don't be an instigator.

This year we took the wheat off the fields and discovered that the fella who owns a couple acres out on the road had actually mowed a lane up the center between two fields extending from his house a full 800 feet into the farm property. His kids were running their ATV up it all summer. Somehow he did this without being seen and the kids never ran the machine when I was in that area. When discovered I walked back to look at it....nice looking strip of grass BUT....I found a salt lick and a trail cam at the end of it in preparation for a little poaching. First he denied it, then he admitted it but gave no explanation. I told him to continue (without the hunting) but that we were running wire fence across that section this fall and he would have to discontinue it all at that time. I assured him the fence was to keep the dogs from running and had been planned all along. No problem so far.

I am thankful every day that my closest neighbor not only raises camels, but has guineas and turkeys too! He is who I got my beautiful blue laced red muffed game cock from
smile.png

Your neighbors should consider themselves lucky! These guys makes some seriously weird noises!! This one is a baby (4 mths old in the picture)
18368_imag0260.jpg

Quote:
x2
lau.gif

Actually, it depends on how you feel about your neighbor...if you're friends, give them some eggs or a processed roo & act appropriately 'ashamed.' Ya know what? Strike that--if they were friends they wouldn't complain, living in a rural area.
I say ignore them, or sneak over & put a "for sale" sign in their yard!

Ok, I really like that........ lmaopimp!
lau.gif

Quote:
But with some neighbors, it's impossible to get along. I have city people next door who tore down the farmhouse that's been there for nearly a century, to build a micromansion, complete with in ground pool, and sport courts (basketball court right outside my bedroom window which I never complain about their bazillion kids playing basketball at 8 am or earlier, on Saturday mornings). Or their constant leaf blowing, dogs barking, lawn mowing every time their grass grows 1/2" (literally, the guy mows at LEAST once a week, rain or shine). And their goody-2-shoes brats tease my son about how small our house is, or how he doesn't have a $3,000 play structure, etc - I used to let him go play with them when they first moved in, but after the second time he came home crying (I talked to the mom about it the first time) I can't let him go over there any more.

These people are NOT worth my time or efforts to have "nice" neighborly relations with, they are uptight snooty people, and I don't give a
duc.gif
what they think, or how irritating they think my roosters are.

Of course I do not need to point out to you that it said "try to get along". Obviously that does not always work. A couple days back I related my story of how an old neighbor set up a bow and arrow range with the target on my lot line and arrows flying thru the back yard. And how I asked him could he move it for safety reasons. And how the next AM he filed a complaint which resulted in the township suing me to get rid of my poultry. I am well aware that some folk just are not able to play well with others. I am just saying don't be an instigator...

Wow, AV Brahmas - I missed your post a couple of days ago about your neighbor. I can't believe that - will check your thread - and am so saddened that some people immediately resort to the legal version of Hatfield and McCoy when it comes to complaints. Another good example of why trying to stay on folks' good side is a good idea. Sheesh.

My neighbors and I live in a rural area without restrictions. I want to keep it that way so I talked to all of them before I got the hens and asked about free ranging. They are all fine with it. I do not want to get into a rooster conversation at all so I don't keep roosters. That is my choice, but I wouldn't mind if others kept roosters. I might not LOVE 12 roosters though, to be honest.

Aside from "country sounds" and "country freedoms" I moved out here for a rural community, too. Part of that is, to me, good relations with the neighbors. I am respectful of my neighbor, he keeps his dog in his yard, I keep my hens from his. I have one neighbor who LIKES the chickens in his yard to keep the ticks down. He is older and does not have the energy for chickens anymore.

While it is true that some people are unreasonable and no one should give up every rooster, it sounds like there are A LOT and the O.P. said they planned to cull. I would kindly say to the neighbor, "We have a few more than we anticipated but have been raising them to a good size for table. We plan to cull them on ___ day. I am sorry it has gotten a little loud over here". If more of a compromise needs to be made, that is something to address down the road.

If you start out being reasonable they will probably be reasonable, too. If, after you cull the roosters you'd planned to & taken steps to stay a good neighbor, they are unreasonable you'll know in your heart you have acted in good faith to maintain the relationship. It sounds like the OP is understanding of the situation, and that goes a long way. Inviting them over to a post cull day BBQ chicken dinner can't hurt to smooth the way to keeping 7 roosters or whatever you want to have left. No reason to give the whole bird, but it can never hurt to share a meal with a neighbor, especially if there has been tension. I am sure a few drinks and a wonderful dinner in your company would make them much less resistant to you continuing to raise whatever birds your heart desires.

It can't hurt to call the town hall too, and talk to them, "just trying to make sure I'm doing enough here, I don't want to be unreasonable"... etc. That way if they do try to alter the ordinances your town has a heads up to how much you have already done. It could be helpful for your peace of mind, too.

I think that a "to heck with you, neighbor" attitude is setting yourself up for problems with the neighbor and did not seem to be what the OP was going for anyhow. If nothing you do is good enough, that is on them. If you go into these situations expecting the worst you'll probably get it.

Tell that stupid city sicker to pound a fence post 6' into the ground with his back side. YOU LIVE IN THE COUNTRY!! It is Dirty, Quiet, terrifying, difficult, cold, dark, hot, dusty, smelly and occasionally loud in the morning. THAT IS WHAT THE COUNTRY IS ALL ABOUT - The good life comes at a cost, hard work, dirt in your fingernails, sun burns, stinky armpits, muddy boots, bad smells, HARD WORK, and utter and complete happiness if you can handle it.

I would go buy a hundred roosters and put them right on the fence closest to him. What a jerk. Then I would buy all the neighbors a hundred chickens, and hundred guineas and put them all around his property. I probably would come up with a contraption to scare the guineas to keep them crowing all day and night too. Come harvest time I would have a big old bon fire, invite the entire county for a fresh chicken cook out and RAISE HELL all night long.

Just my opinion though, and please don't get me wrong, we all help each other our here with no expectation of repayment. We do it cause it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised by the overly aggressive responses on this thread.

I enjoy my chickens, and am good terms with my neighbours, but, if they got "alot" of roosters, I would be politely complaining.

To the OP, it sounds like you know your roosters were excessively noisey, since you have been expecting the complaint. Sounds like you will be culling over half of your roosters. I would suggest you have a friendly conversation with your neighbour, let them know over half the roosters are going to freezer camp (an giving him a processed bird wouldn't hurt). Apologise that the noise had gotten a little put of control, and that you are only keeping the roosters you need for your breeding program.

Really folks, what is the problem with making a little effort to be on good terms with your neighbours, especially in a rural setting. The neighbour had had chickens before, he doesn't sound unreasonable, and the OP seems to admit in the original post that she had a rposster "problem" anyway.

JMHO

Back
Top Bottom