It Has Been A Tough Summer

Maybe having windows open is worse, it just lets in hot air. Can you give them some cool water in shallow pans, to stand in? Cool feet = cooler bird. They also love watermelon and that gets extra fluid into them. Some people put peas in the water, so encourage them to drink more.

At this time we actually broke a record for the hottest day in Our area ever 114. I will keep doing all I can.
OMG I just looked it up and that is 45.5c :eek::eek:that is soooooo hot! And there are still edjits saying climate change isn't happening!
Your poor chickens. It does sound like thier age may have been a factor too in combination with the heat. I've been hosing down the coop / the tree they hang out under / thier sand dust bath and even the ground in the run and that really seems to help the heat - you can almost feel it drop at couple of degrees. Mind you we don't have that heat - been up to 104.

Good news! Hubby and I are looking at buying some of the mister heads and installing something down there for ours as we are due some pretty hot weather through August.

Good news! Hubby and I are looking at buying some of the mister heads and installing something down there for ours as we are due some pretty hot weather through August.
The mister idea is the way to go. It's been over a 100 for 16 days and counting. 4 days since installing the mister and my girls are not panting and stressed at all. Suggestion though: If you buy a misting system and it has plastic mister heads on it, I recommend going to Lowe's or Home Depot and by replacement metal mister heads. The plastic ones will crack in the persistent heat or clog up with calcium from hard water. Live and learn, done had to change out 4 so went ahead and changed out all 12. Working like a champ now. My girls are back to happy and laying. One of them even decided she was going to be broody now. So I call that success!

That's so great to read! Congratulations! *also sorry about your older girls--I have a trio of five-year-olds that are dear to me, so I feel for you. It's been hot here, and humid as well, so my mister doesn't help. I've been freezing treats in muffin tins and freezing soda bottles to put in their waterers. Also wetting down some of the ground by the hedge for them to stand in and wallow in. Watermelon and cucumbers for treats.

Back
Top Bottom