1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It hasn't been a good year for me. Need your prayers again....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Attack Chicken, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Over three years of keeping chickens that started out with a small flock of a trio of LF White Leghorns. Kernal-the roo and two hens Sandy and Krispy. Within months into backyard chickening Sandy passed away from eating three screw hole covers. My first chicken loss and it wouldn't be the last. I was left with Kernal and Krispy. Days and months went by welcoming in the new chicks. By then my love of "BYCing" had risen. Various breeds until I found the ones I loved and liked. The bantam wyandottes were here to stay.

As months passed and so did a few years several of my little ones passed away. First it was Sandy- LF White Leghorn pullet, Newbie- a crossbeaked Bantam Blue Wyandotte pullet (her story is one of it's own, first chicken I've given CPR to), Coal- a Bantam Blue OEGB pullet , Diamond- a Bantam Splash Wyandotte pullet. This year I've lost two of the best birds I've ever had in my life, Coco a bantam rosecomb RIR hen. Her story was on here not to long ago. And now Krispy the last hen of my first trio of birds.

I took her to the vet yesterday to see what was up with her. She wasn't feeling well at all. The xray showed her abdomin was full of something but not sure what. $173 that day and she ended up staying the night at the vets. She was more depressed today and was suffering in my eyes. Over the phone I made the choice to end it. I didn't want to but I didn't want my girl to die a painfull death. I couldn't talk over the phone I was crying so much and I still am. I feel like a murderer right now I just hope I made the right choice.. Rest in Peace Krispy babe.

Krispy on the left and Sandy on right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It's never fun to loose chickens [​IMG] I hope things turn around for you and your flock.

3. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Anytime you have relieved an animal of its suffering you have made the right choice. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BovieVei

BovieVei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    That's so sad, but you made he right decision. I know it was hard, but she was suffering. I sure hope the rest of your year is better.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry....if she were suffering in your eyes then you made right the decision. Abdomen full of stuff...probably an internal laying issue and that is a slow death. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 It's our responsibility. Well done!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

8. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] You made the right decision. [​IMG] I know it still hurts though. I have had to make that decision too. Sourland is right - even though it is extremely hard to do - we are stewards of our animals and it is our responsibility to do what is best for them.

Lisa

9. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Oh, you are such a special person!!, look at the love you have given. You did the right thing. My heart is with you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by