Another great girl gone

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Marietta, my Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte, was dead in the coop yesterday morning. I am sad, but not surprised, because she was clearly slowing down recently. She was fully grown when she came to live with me almost six years ago.

A family that was friends with friends of mine was selling off its chickens. ALL I wanted was the BLRW -- such a beauty. But, they convinced me that I couldn't add just one hen, so I opted for the Barred Cochin Bantam. That would have left just one Bantam, so they offered me a buy two, get one free deal. That's how I got the Red Frizzle Cochin Bantam.

Both Sally and Gabby passed away in the 2023, so Marietta was the last of the trio. When they first arrived, she was fiercely protective of the Bantams. Eventually, maybe when she realized they could hold their own, she chose a Buff Orp and a pair of Salmon Faverolles as her flock.

One her last day, Marietta was outside with her girls where she ate a few grapes and dug on the ground for scratch grains. It looked like she just fell asleep in the coop. RIP, my most beautiful girl.

1704630026424.png

Marietta, my Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte, was dead in the coop yesterday morning. I am sad, but not surprised, because she was clearly slowing down recently. She was fully grown when she came to live with me almost six years ago.

A family that was friends with friends of mine was selling off its chickens. ALL I wanted was the BLRW -- such a beauty. But, they convinced me that I couldn't add just one hen, so I opted for the Barred Cochin Bantam. That would have left just one Bantam, so they offered me a buy two, get one free deal. That's how I got the Red Frizzle Cochin Bantam.

Both Sally and Gabby passed away in the 2023, so Marietta was the last of the trio. When they first arrived, she was fiercely protective of the Bantams. Eventually, maybe when she realized they could hold their own, she chose a Buff Orp and a pair of Salmon Faverolles as her flock.

One her last day, Marietta was outside with her girls where she ate a few grapes and dug on the ground for scratch grains. It looked like she just fell asleep in the coop. RIP, my most beautiful girl.
I'm so sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom