My little chick is gone

therunningflock

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
I was just outside with my one chick that I named Bella. I knew I should’ve just left her inside, but I wanted her to get some fresh air for a few minutes. Anyway, I took her outside and put her on the ground and took my eyes off her for five minutes just to go give my older chickens a treat. Next thing I know she’s nowhere to be seen. I refuse to relieve that She wandered off as I am the only thing she ever known because she was born alone. she was supposed to have siblings, but those eggs ended up not hatching for me unfortunately. anyway do you guys think there’s any explanation? I really don’t think she wandered off and I find it hard to believes that something could’ve took her because the distance between the coop and her was very very small and I would’ve definitely heard something.
I also don’t believe she would’ve wandered off as I took her outside one time prior to this, and she mostly just followed me or chirped a lot when she didn’t see me. So it’s all very strange to me and it’s very sad because she’s barely 2 weeks old.

I was just outside with my one chick that I named Bella. I knew I should’ve just left her inside, but I wanted her to get some fresh air for a few minutes. Anyway, I took her outside and put her on the ground and took my eyes off her for five minutes just to go give my older chickens a treat. Next thing I know she’s nowhere to be seen. I refuse to relieve that She wandered off as I am the only thing she ever known because she was born alone. she was supposed to have siblings, but those eggs ended up not hatching for me unfortunately. anyway do you guys think there’s any explanation? I really don’t think she wandered off and I find it hard to believes that something could’ve took her because the distance between the coop and her was very very small and I would’ve definitely heard something.
I also don’t believe she would’ve wandered off as I took her outside one time prior to this, and she mostly just followed me or chirped a lot when she didn’t see me. So it’s all very strange to me and it’s very sad because she’s barely 2 weeks old.
I am so, so sorry. That is heartbreaking. You're right; you'd have heard that chick crying. I do not know what varments you may have around there, but something you may never even see may have gotten it. A snake, weasel, etc., are small, quiet, and fast. I would go back out once more before you completely give up but I'm sure you've already checked dozens of times.

Again, I'm so sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom