My experience with toeless chickens

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’ve been seeing quite a few people having issues with their chickens getting frostbitten toes wether it was something they didn’t notice until it was too late or if they were rescues, so this is just a story post to ease the minds of those worried about your chickens futures ♥️

I take in retired hens, two of my hens that are retired from breeding farms are missing toes. Milk, my Brahma, is missing all but one of her middle toes. Rat, one of my salmon faverolles, is only missing two toes. Milk only occasionally needs help up the ramp and needs a special roost so she can balance on it, for her I found a branch and a cement block and set those together so she is able to hop up and sit on the branch but will still be able to balance with the help of the block. Rat needs help in every day (though I believe that’s either because of joint pain from her age or some form a neurological disorder. She is being given tumeric with my other elderly hen for the joint pain) but other then that she’s just a normal chicken, they can both run around, scratch and peck, eat, drink, roost(with help for Milk of course) and live their best retired free ranging lives! In fact, Milk is the friendliest happiest chicken I’ve ever had, she could sleep in my lap for a long time! So don’t worry too much about your babies, it hurts them for sure… but once they recover they will be completely fine ♥️♥️

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6355.jpeg
    IMG_6355.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6004.jpeg
    IMG_6004.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6087.jpeg
    IMG_6087.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 13
This is endearing to read. I love it! Thank you for sharing. ❤️

I have a question though. I have a large container of powdered turmeric I got when my mom passed. I knew it was for inflammation but it sure tastes nasty so how do you get your chickens to eat it? I ferment grains and generally, anytime I try to add anything to that, they don't like it.

This is endearing to read. I love it! Thank you for sharing. ❤️

I have a question though. I have a large container of powdered turmeric I got when my mom passed. I knew it was for inflammation but it sure tastes nasty so how do you get your chickens to eat it? I ferment grains and generally, anytime I try to add anything to that, they don't like it.
I put it in their water, feed, treats and fermented feed! They’ve never seemed to mind it… water and really tasty treats are probably your best bets!

Bless you for taking in rescues and for reassuring others that losing toes doesn't mean a chicken can't have a quality life.

Several of my hens experienced handicaps, from loss of toes to stricture wounds to severely curled toes. They all adapted to their new reality remarkably well.

BTW, neither of my Salmon Faverolles has complete feet; aside from their endless, loud complaining about everything I say to or do for them, they are absolutely fine. I hope Rat is more appreciative of you!

Bless you for taking in rescues and for reassuring others that losing toes doesn't mean a chicken can't have a quality life.

Several of my hens experienced handicaps, from loss of toes to stricture wounds to severely curled toes. They all adapted to their new reality remarkably well.

BTW, neither of my Salmon Faverolles has complete feet; aside from their endless, loud complaining about everything I say to or do for them, they are absolutely fine. I hope Rat is more appreciative of you!
Rat definitely is quite whiny 🤣 she full on screams at me allll the time while her sister is dead silent. My nephew definitely chose the right name for her

Back
Top Bottom