My little Gabby is gone

Yesterday, my red frizzle Cochin Bantam was out with the big hens, wrestling chilled grapes away from them and scooting away with her bounty. Today, she was lethargic and wouldn't eat even a single grape. I made the first possible appointment with the avian vet, but Gabby died a half hour before she would have seen Dr. M.

As the day went on, she struggled to breathe and began emitting a thick drool. When I put her in a kennel in the car, she convulsed and was gone in seconds.

Gabby was already a grown hen when she, her barred Cochin Bantam "sister" Sally and a Wyandotte came to live with me five years ago. I referred to the two Bantams as "my little jewels."

I loved watching Gabby's rolling gait and hearing her distinctive and plaintive voice. Gabby sounded like the Eeyore of chickens, as though she was chronically depressed. But that was only her voice; she was actually a joyous little girl.

Since Sally passed in March, I've worried that Gabby missed her sister. Now, I'll miss them both.

Rest in peace, my little jewel.
I am so sorry to hear that, i wish i couldve met her. I miss my sweet Nadine every day, she was a bantam also. She always liked to perch on top of the house, and two hawks grabbed her. She was the sweetest thing ever. I am sorry for your loss

Do you have a picture?

Attachments

• 20230831_143242.jpg
    20230831_143242.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 5
I miss my sweet Nadine every day, she was a bantam also. She always liked to perch on top of the house, and two hawks grabbed her. She was the sweetest thing ever.
It's heartbreaking to lose them, 💔 they get so intertwined in our hearts. :hugs I am so sorry. ❤

Back
Top Bottom