Just Rambling About Coop Drama

LoveOfFeathers

Songster
Jun 29, 2023
Central N.C.
I’m a true crazy chicken lady, I moved a few pet large fowl layers from the pasture pen to a Fort Knox pen (the silkie/ frizzle/ funky crew). I had to move some birds out to the pasture coop to put the pets with the silkies. I have a max number of birds that I’ll confine in a coop together. I moved two of my (Heinz 57 mutts: developed from various breeds of chickens: Cornish game, EE, cochin and who knows what other breeds that free ranged and survived) b*tches to the pasture coop, those girls can be fearless when need be. One of the three mutts was already on my chit list for continuously being a jerk to my broody polkie even though I broke her broodiness within a few days. Mutt B*tch wouldn’t give the polkie a break and got put into isolation for a few days, I was hoping she would change her attitude but nope. I wanted to leave old mutt with the silkies as she doesn’t cause any issues. The pets weren’t thrilled about being moved and my two normal bullies for that pen, the Polkie and my zombie polish were being nice compared to that old mutt b*tch. Third mutt got booted out to the pasture coop and got her butt kicked by a half mutt/ half Easter egger cross, Huntress. These hens have been together before but got separated due to raising chicks. After five days, my old mutt still didn’t look settled in and seemed depressed, she roosted as far away from everyone as possible. Today I moved old mutt b*tch back to the silkie pet pen, she was greeted by my three pet large fowl that she picked on,they pecked her, ruffled a few feathers and everything seemed to be fine. My Rhode Island Red, Jersey Giant and Dwarf hen aren’t going to put up with her crap since they’ve found their place in the pecking order of the rest of the flock. Old mutt is about six years old so she won’t put up too much of a fight unless the big girls run away from her, then it’s game on and she’s going to dominate them. So far I haven’t had any issues with my mutts and silkies, but when I first introduced everyone the Polkie and zombie had it out for everyone and now the Polkie absolutely adores one of my silkie hens and so does one of my silkie roosters. He sleeps beside his silkie girl every night, they’re are almost inseparable. The Jersey Giant and Rhode Island Red grew up with most of the birds that are in this pet pen, my adult silkie rooster was an absolute doll to the eight youngsters but I moved the large fowl when my two Wyandotte cockerels started to figure out they were roosters. Smallest in this pen now is a serama x bantam polish hen and the largest is the Jersey Giant. Rir hen pecked old mutt and of course old mutt tried to take her frustration out on my little hen but my small bantam went and hid her head under the Jersey Giant’s wing, then the old mutt wouldn’t get too close.😂

I’ve been sitting in the doorway of the pen petting chickens for a few mins a day to take time to observe how everyone is interacting with each other. All of my silkies can see, I trim a small amount of feathers above the eyes, I was taping crests but the Polkie thought it was her job to take everyone’s tape out. What’s sad about my Polkie is that she has so much sass but is deathly afraid of me, curiosity gets the best of her sometimes and she will get close but if I reach a hand out to her she freaks out and runs away, such a spaz.

My Dwarf hen is now in love with my dark blue silkie rooster, Gorilla. She is bigger bodied than him but has short little legs. My JG was dozing off in the corner with two silkies and my RIR was taking a dirt bath with a frizzle almost underneath her. The old grouch seems to have calmed down some too. I also gave scratch grains tonight as a snack and no one turned into a vicious monster. Can’t wait to get my other coop build for all of my pet layers. I’m not going to be breeding a silkie to a large fowl dwarf 😂 soo I say…. But I do want to create a giant silkie feathered bird

I understand the coop drama I have a 40ft by 120ft fenced in outdoor run for my 26 chickens 10 Indian runner ducks and my 2 geese...and my little bantam rooster who I will post a picture of causes alot of daily drama bc he isn't interested in the hens he is more so interested in the female goose and the female ducks he will actually run the female waterfowl down and jump on them and try to get him a piece I don't get it and he is constantly in trouble for raping the waterfowl but he doesn't give a shit tho second his stint in solitaire confinement ends he's back at it all over again

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 8
Lol, my hens just rip each other’s neck feathers out. I drop kick them when they bully my EE. She has so many feathers missing it’s not funny. 😔😕

Back
Top Bottom