Examples Of Chicken Intelligence

LoveOfFeathers

Songster
Jun 29, 2023
Central N.C.
  • I have a silkie pullet that has learnt that if she pecks the top of my boot twice, I’ll pick her up and put her in my lap for snuggles. She can be so demanding sometimes, I’ll cuddle her for a few minutes then put her back on the ground, she’ll come back peck the top of my boot for more. She nuzzles up into my hair and tries to nuzzle under my arm.
  • My birds know what go night night means, they will go get on the roost or put themselves up for bed.
  • I have a mean rooster that knows not to flog my milk jug waterer or he will get wet from flogging it. As long as I have my jug I’m safe, lol.
  • I have a hen that will let me know that she filled her chicks waterer with shavings and that she wants it cleaned out.

My birds know what go night night means, they will go get on the roost or put themselves up for bed.
Several of mine also know what phrases "bed time" means, but those hens do the exact opposite and try to escape and run to the house for last-minute treats or do whatever else gets them maximal attention to delay roosting. You can tell when an animal understands a phrase if it either consistently does what you want or consistently does the exact opposite LOL.

Back
Top Bottom