It hatched! Are they going to kill it? Update page 3.

I would definitely leave her in a confined area. Mama may not like the cold ground and go to roost, leaving her baby alone to the cold. Personally, I would remove the chick, big it into the house and raise it there. Use a #2 wash tube with a heating pad. By the time warm weather arrives it will be big enough to join the others and you will have a wonderful pet to boot!

Since Momma hen is a tiny little Japanese, and one of our lap chickens, we have moved her inside, to a brooder cage right here next to my desk! She is still sitting on the other two dud eggs, which is why I thought I could switch out for babies. I still dont know if I should. (Heavy sigh)

We dont want to leave her or the new baby in the coop anywhere, we have a horribly natured Crevacoer we call the 'Vulture'. I am certain she is the cause of the death or removal from the nest of the other eggs that our lil Stevie laid. Most of our birds are big goofy loving Cochins, but That bloody black bird is a menace. I absolutely dont trust her.

Maybe I will sell her at the NE conference?
cool.png

Update....

We were able to get three silkie eggs from a local breeder to slip under the momma hen, they are due to hatch Monday. Since she doesnt seem inclined to get up yet, we are praying she will stay put for 48 more hours....

The lil chick is perky and adorable, and comes out of the feathers when she hears our voices! Pokes thru the wing feathers and scopes us out! Cutest thing I have ever seen!

we have never had silkies, so this will be interesting!

Back
Top Bottom