It hatched! Are they going to kill it? Update page 3.

chickenpiedpiper

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
New Durham NH
My little broody Japanese hen actually hatched one! after 30 days, I had given up! But only one, and in a coop with 21 other much bigger birds. Its only 45* in there, (heated) and a foot of snow on the ground! Are the others going to kill it?

Help!

Last edited:
I do like the dog kennel idea. Put some hay or shavings in there with them. It is safer for the baby. Mom would be fine in there with the little one. Enough room to eat and care for the baby. You could even bring them in if it is too cold outside. I know we are below zero often. Congrats on the new baby!
wee.gif

Ok, we have her in, and she seems to have settled down, now I need to find a couple more day olds for her, cause the remaining eggs she is on are not fertile. I candled them, and they look empty.

Any one know where I can get two, day old chicks, dont care the breed!

Here is the new momma, its not her egg, we think it is a silver laced cochin egg with a blue cochin daddy. Very feathery feet so far!

14075_100_3238.jpg

I think you could look for some at your local feed store (not sure if they have many in winter), or even order a handful off of mypetchicken.com.

With sub zero temps here, I wouldnt want to ship babies, and mypet chicken doesnt have any available..... Thanks for the suggestion tho....

I hadnt noticed the roasting pan irony. Jeez, I better not tell her what it is! lol

Have you tried your local craigslist to see if anyone has some chicks listed by chance?

Good luck with them! It sure is a cute chick and momma looks so proud!
smile.png

There isnt really a craigs list up here, but we have an equivelant, I will check it out. I know this is not really hatching season around here, but it seems sombody aught to be hatching somewhere in 4-5 states!

It was strange, after I took that photo, she started pecking the chick on the head, So I stuffed him back under her, Was she trying to tell him to move? they didnt look like love pecks to me!

She wouldnt hurt the kiddo just cause its not actually one of hers would she?

Back
Top Bottom