5 day old chick with foot problem

Edens_Echo

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
I have a broody hen who hatched 3 chicks 5 days ago. She's been very protective over them (more so than my other broodjies have ever been - we've do e this 8 times now) and I just noticed that one chick is tripping over it's foot. It seems the foot does not go flat with toes outwhenit walks. I picked up the chick to have a look and the toes do open easily with my finger gently moving them, but seems the chick cannot do this themselves. Any advice please? Do I wait and see if the chick might recover and regain proper use of the foot? Is there a danger to letting it be? I currently have one teenage rooster with a bit of a dodgy foot (sideways toes) but he does fine and is in charge of all the other teens. He is destined for the pot, when he gets a little bigger.
Alternatively should I be putting this new little one out of its misery?
Screenshot_20230916_121049.jpg

I have a broody hen who hatched 3 chicks 5 days ago. She's been very protective over them (more so than my other broodjies have ever been - we've do e this 8 times now) and I just noticed that one chick is tripping over it's foot. It seems the foot does not go flat with toes outwhenit walks. I picked up the chick to have a look and the toes do open easily with my finger gently moving them, but seems the chick cannot do this themselves. Any advice please? Do I wait and see if the chick might recover and regain proper use of the foot? Is there a danger to letting it be? I currently have one teenage rooster with a bit of a dodgy foot (sideways toes) but he does fine and is in charge of all the other teens. He is destined for the pot, when he gets a little bigger.
Alternatively should I be putting this new little one out of its misery?View attachment 3636745
I have a ameracauna that has a gimp foot. I cared for her and made sure she grew up just fine, sure she has a little limp but she'll lay eggs just fine. Give the bird a chance only cull your animals if absolutely necessary and to me this doesn't count as necessary. (Also you should get a glimpse into big meat chicken farms) they're all laying on the ground barely walking same concept as this post.

Thanks, my gut says to keep an eye on it and see. I might try taping it to see if it helps as I just read about that for bent toes.

Back
Top Bottom