New chick has curled toes...

Just picked up my baby chicks. And it looks like one of my gold wyandottes has a messed up foot. The toes seem to be splayed out and in odd directions. Curled under or laying off to the side. Almost like they're broke but upon handling, they seem okay. They even want to kind of grip around my finger I believe.. Otherwise the chick seems fine it's getting around walking around with the bad foot and such. Contacted the gentleman he sold them to me and he said that it's probably something that'll work yourself out in a couple of days if not he would replace it. Hoping it'll work itself out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_123003_01.jpg
    IMG_20240410_123003_01.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
Hello :)
There are so many knowledgeable people here that may have better suggestions.

I found it to be a positive thing when you said that this little chick is trying too grip onto you.

Personally I don't know if the experts here would agree, but I would let them keep trying to grip onto your fingers and massage their toes as much as possible. Then maybe a little foot soak in some warm water and Epson salt then towel dry after.

Im wish you and your little one good luck. Please keep us updated

Curly toes in young chicks is quite likely to be due to vitamin B deficiency. Particularly if there isn’t anything else wrong with the leg.
If so, it is easy to solve with vitamin B supplements from the pharmacy. They are very safe so it is a good idea to try this anyway.
As @SilverBirds said, it is a good idea to tape the toes straight so they don’t get fixed in that position and to stop her getting sores by trying to walk and scraping what should be the tops of her toes.

This thread follows little Bernadette (now big beautiful Bernadette) on her journey to recovery, relapse and then full recovery. You can see what I did in terms of vitamin B supplements as well as taping and splinting her leg.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/

Made a boot with vet tape material and stiff paper. Walking flat footed and seemingly pain free with it on. So I'm feeling positive. All the toes seemed fine, just not stretched out quite enough to stay open. Thanks for the info guys. Going to check out the link to Bernadette and the vitamin supplements. We keep B12 on hand. There's some sweetener in the tablets but I don't think it would be of any consequence.

Made a boot with vet tape material and stuff paper. Walking flat footed and seemingly pain free with it on. So I'm feeling positive. All the toes seemed fine, just not stretched out quite enough to stay open. Thanks for the info guys. Going to check out the link to Bernadette and the vitamin supplements. We keep B12 on hand. There's some sweetener in the tablets but I don't think it would be of any consequence.
B12 won’t cut it. Curly toe issues are largely related to B2 deficiency. You can get B complex which has all the Bs at any pharmacy. I got B2 in a dropper bottle on line.

Back
Top Bottom