Single Bent Toe, Week Old Chick - Best Practice?

trputman

Chirping
Jan 5, 2022
Riverton, NJ
This chick is a healthy, one-week old Speckled Sussex we just got today with others! The last section of her middle toe on one foot is slightly bent. She is active and not limping.

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

I attempted to make a splint using the yogurt lid - tape method but it was hell trying to get it on and when on, I wasn't sure it had really straightened that join and it just didn't seem like it would do anything except draw unwanted pecking and hobble walking.

All sorts of opinions here and elsewhere about whether this is actually worth addressing; whether she is too old to do anything permanent about it; what kind of tape to use; whether to just let her live with it but watch for worsening symptoms or other toes; etc.! So I'd welcome your informed opinions on this case! Thanks!

We had one similar and I remembered seeing tape used. Hubby found some thick two-sided tape. That worked except it was slick on the bottom. Next he got painters tape out. That was the best. We laid a small square down, stood the chick's foot on it, then had another square ready to plant down on the top of its foot.

One day later, the toes were straight!

Back
Top Bottom