It has begun. I just ordered some of my brooder supplies. I am so excited.

Very costly for what it is. Bargain brand paper towels work fine, or pine or aspen shavings if you prefer something fluffier.

Also you mentioned getting a tote as a brooder. Keep in mind chicks grow extremely fast, and 5 chicks will need a minimum of 5 sq ft of open floor space by around 2 weeks. An alternative idea since you were advised to have the coop built before chicks arrive... if you can run electricity out, brood in the coop. Lot less mess for you and no need to set up a separate brooder unit.

I also plan on ordering a pet pen for when they begin getting bigger. The tote is just for the first week until the pen I want arrives. Depending on when we decide on our "delivery" date, I may have it before then. We have to empty and clean the shed we plan to use and install some windows and vents. Some things have to be done to the building to make it work. I am purchasing my materials and items each pay, so I am not using my entire pay in one go. I am just super excited to be in the materials purchasing phase :)

Very costly for what it is. Bargain brand paper towels work fine, or pine or aspen shavings if you prefer something fluffier.

Also you mentioned getting a tote as a brooder. Keep in mind chicks grow extremely fast, and 5 chicks will need a minimum of 5 sq ft of open floor space by around 2 weeks. An alternative idea since you were advised to have the coop built before chicks arrive... if you can run electricity out, brood in the coop. Lot less mess for you and no need to set up a separate brooder unit.
I was just wondering if they were more economical or if anyone had really liked them. My brain was thinking one-time purchase versus continued replacement of shavings over the years brooding chicks; plus, I liked the idea of the shavings not being kicked in their food and water.

I was just wondering if they were more economical or if anyone had really liked them. My brain was thinking one-time purchase versus continued replacement of shavings over the years brooding chicks; plus, I liked the idea of the shavings not being kicked in their food and water.
I raise the food and water up onto things as they grow. I've never used the pads, always just pine shavings.

Yeah that's an expensive option especially since they will be clean for about 30 seconds. Shavings are fine. You can put the watere up on something like a brick to get it up off the floor a little. Just make sure everyone can reach it and it can't fall over.

If you have a tractor supply near you their white bag pine shavings are around $6.50 and one bag usually does me through the entire brooding process. If you really want to get simple with it just put them in your guest bathtub for a couple weeks then move them outdoors to the coop. Just have a small area you can heat segregated then when they are ready let them in the full coop.

My heat plate and feeders should arrive tomorrow. I plan to purchase a brand-new tote this weekend. No set arrival date for my chicks, but I will be prepared when it happens. I asked my husband for chickens for our 26th anniversary. He agreed. He raised them when he was younger, but that was over 30 years ago. I, on the other hand, have only had what one could term less than happy experiences with chickens during my childhood. I actually feared them for a long time. Nothing like walking out onto your front porch and getting flogged just for stepping out of your own house. Note: WE DID NOT OWN CHICKENS. They were my cousins, and when they would go out on free range, our front porch was a favorite toilet, especially after my grandmother cleaned it. So it has taken me quite a few years, close to 30, to decide I wanted them. Once the brooder set up is complete and we have decided on a "delivery" date, we will begin converting an old shed into a coop and run. I am so excited.
Make sure the shed is big enough because you WILL get more! The best advice I can give is to build a LARGE chicken "run" around that shed so your chickens will be safe from all predators. Good luck.

My heat plate and feeders should arrive tomorrow. I plan to purchase a brand-new tote this weekend. No set arrival date for my chicks, but I will be prepared when it happens. I asked my husband for chickens for our 26th anniversary. He agreed. He raised them when he was younger, but that was over 30 years ago. I, on the other hand, have only had what one could term less than happy experiences with chickens during my childhood. I actually feared them for a long time. Nothing like walking out onto your front porch and getting flogged just for stepping out of your own house. Note: WE DID NOT OWN CHICKENS. They were my cousins, and when they would go out on free range, our front porch was a favorite toilet, especially after my grandmother cleaned it. So it has taken me quite a few years, close to 30, to decide I wanted them. Once the brooder set up is complete and we have decided on a "delivery" date, we will begin converting an old shed into a coop and run. I am so excited.
How exciting! I just ordered my 2nd flock. Got in too days ago. I lost one to what I assumed was shipping stress. She didn't make 12 hours but mine had to go pretty far. From Ohio to California so I'm greatful the rest are well. I was sad it was a little buff orb. But I'm glad the rest seem well. I have two frizzle Easter Eggers, five buff orbs now, and six barred rocks. No rooster this time around. I have a older barred rock who will just love the company. She's 9 years old and very sweet. Post lots of picts when your babies come! Have fun and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom