It!!! (I mean he) Crowed!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    My little white silkie CROWED today!! [​IMG] I suspected he was a rooster because he has a big! lump of a comb and his wattle are already showing pronouncely! AND he turns 6 weeks on Thursday! [​IMG] I must have gotten a lucky batch from Ideal. I've already had one of my Sebrights crow at 3 weeks.

2. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Okaaaaay..... not the reaction I was looking for..... but i'm excited anyways [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I didn't know if I should say congrats or I'm sorry [​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Don't worry its not your fault. I probably just posted at a slow time and it was missed. I'm just excited!!! What's weird is that I know it's a rooster when it's only 6 weeks old... especially since it's a silkie...

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    on a side note...isn't it amazing how SOON those little sebrights crow? We had 15 chicks and 9 (yes NINE) of them turned out to be little roos....we just cracked up each morning and there would be another one trying to crow...they were no more than 5 weeks old!! Those sebrights are quite the characters, aren't they?!!!

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Yes!! They are! I know for sure that I have two roos. One is a little iffy. But what I noticed was that the two roos had more gold on their heads as day-olds. Did you notice this too?

7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Since we had so many roos, I didn't notice much difference in coloring. They sparred a lot and crowed early. We knew without a doubt by the time they were 2-1/2 months old (about 10 weeks). They had larger combs too. (We had both golden AND silver sebrights too)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  8. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I only bought 6 golden sebrights (straight run) from Ideal. I think I ended up with a good ratio. Sadly i'm only keeping one roo and two hens [​IMG] If I had the room, I'd keep 'em all [​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have a silkie who has had a very large walnut type comb on his head since he was 6-7 weeks old and wattles. Now HE is 15 weeks old and not one crow!!! Now I'm starting to worry... could it be a very malish pullet?! What the heck.... crow already!!!

Can I see pictures of yours?

P.s. - I WANT this one to be a Roo as well!!!

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Could you describe the comb a little bit? This particular one of mine has had sort of a "bump" as his comb for about 3 weeks up until today. His wattles are also very noticeable and ear lobes are a nice blue. I'll see what I can do about pictures.

ETA: If you have pics of your suspected roo, I could compare with mine and try to help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by