It!!! (I mean he) Crowed!!!!

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
My little white silkie CROWED today!!
ya.gif
I suspected he was a rooster because he has a big! lump of a comb and his wattle are already showing pronouncely! AND he turns 6 weeks on Thursday!
big_smile.png
I must have gotten a lucky batch from Ideal. I've already had one of my Sebrights crow at 3 weeks.

Quote:
Don't worry its not your fault. I probably just posted at a slow time and it was missed. I'm just excited!!! What's weird is that I know it's a rooster when it's only 6 weeks old... especially since it's a silkie...

on a side note...isn't it amazing how SOON those little sebrights crow? We had 15 chicks and 9 (yes NINE) of them turned out to be little roos....we just cracked up each morning and there would be another one trying to crow...they were no more than 5 weeks old!! Those sebrights are quite the characters, aren't they?!!!

Quote:
Yes!! They are! I know for sure that I have two roos. One is a little iffy. But what I noticed was that the two roos had more gold on their heads as day-olds. Did you notice this too?

Since we had so many roos, I didn't notice much difference in coloring. They sparred a lot and crowed early. We knew without a doubt by the time they were 2-1/2 months old (about 10 weeks). They had larger combs too. (We had both golden AND silver sebrights too)

Last edited:
I only bought 6 golden sebrights (straight run) from Ideal. I think I ended up with a good ratio. Sadly i'm only keeping one roo and two hens
sad.png
If I had the room, I'd keep 'em all
tongue.png

I have a silkie who has had a very large walnut type comb on his head since he was 6-7 weeks old and wattles. Now HE is 15 weeks old and not one crow!!! Now I'm starting to worry... could it be a very malish pullet?! What the heck.... crow already!!!

Can I see pictures of yours?

P.s. - I WANT this one to be a Roo as well!!!

Quote:
Could you describe the comb a little bit? This particular one of mine has had sort of a "bump" as his comb for about 3 weeks up until today. His wattles are also very noticeable and ear lobes are a nice blue. I'll see what I can do about pictures.

ETA: If you have pics of your suspected roo, I could compare with mine and try to help.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom