It is 7 degree and my furnace broke

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    The kids and I are soooooo cold. When dh comes home next week I am making him buy me some firewood in case this ever happens again. Oh forget that I will get some myself!

We are far from feeling the cold the hens are experiencing,but even at this point(no idea on the temp) we are miserable.Fingers crossed nothing else breaks in this cold! And here I was teasing my dh to keep warm in his truck, because where he is the temp is only 3 degrees! Atleast he can run his truck.Our only option is keeping the oven on.Time to dig out the blankets and wrap the kids up in their beds.

Hoping no one has to deal with this on the coldest days!

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Boil a big pot of water. Help put some moisture and heat in the air.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Oh I feel so bad for you....I hope you can warm up! Do you have any electric blankets???

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Oh my goodness!! You poor thing!! I hope you have electric blankets. What about your water pipes? do you have to turn off the water and drain the pipes? How will you and your children keep warm? Drink hot drinks and camp out in the kitchen around the stove.

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    last week I called on monday because we were down to 5% propane they didn't bring any till saturday and by then we were out. luckily we have wood heat too. hubby was out of town and I had to go get a load of wood. but hey that is what craigs list is for. Do you have wood heat ? try to stay warm, do you have any family you can stay with until it gets fixed [​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go into the warmest room and shut all the doors. That definitely helps to keep the temperature up. Can you throw some blankets in the dryer to keep warm that way too?

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks for the thoughts!I gave all but one thin blanket to the kids.I doubled up on cloths and stuck my feet in ds winter coat(it has feathers).Slept a few hours,but up now waiting.Why shake under the cover when I can be up having some coffee. I have the hot water running on most of the pipes,and turned the oven back on.

I see it is 4 degree. I still have to shovel the drive before my repair guy comes. I hope he won't be angry if I call him right after 8am and tell him to come! I tried trouble shooting over the phone with him,but nothing worked. I think it is the thermostat. We will see in a few hours.

I think I will buy some electric blankets or a space heater for next time. It just figures that this happens on the coldest days of the winter thusfar. I always said I was going to buy some wood but just never did. Lesson learned.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why does this always happen during the really cold spells. We limped along on our old furnace for several years, and I would lie in bed listening to hear if it kicked in on those really cold nights. We finally broke down and replaced it this year. What a feeling of relief. Now I only need to worry if the electricity fails. Then it is on to plan B--kerosene heaters. Hopefully your problem will be resolved this AM.[​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Makes me very glad we installed a soapstone woodburning stove when we moved here, rather than try to use the fireplace. We don't even use our heatpump. This has been a very cold winter for here in the North GA mtns.

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sorry to hear about your furnace. I think hot liquids, oatmeal and soup will be your very good friend today. Good Luck. You might want to move everyone into the smallest bedroom. Keep the blinds and curtains closed to help keep the heat in too.....

Maybe the kiddo can build a fort over their beds to keep the heat in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by