It is 7 degree and my furnace broke

If you have one, using a small table fan on the counter by the stove (a safe distance away) so that it moves the stove heat out into the room is very effective. In a pinch I've used hot plates on safe surfaces the same way, out of reach of kids & pets, of course, and also a blow dryer to quickly warm up smaller things.

Having no heat is miserable. Wallyworld carries a 34"? tall, safe, tower space heater by Lasko for about $45 and it'll heat 500+ sf easy. We have a bunch of those units. Hope you get heat soon!

Electric blankets are amazing, even when the furnace is running fine! Really reduces the need for much heating at night. We got ours from QVC. You might want to check them out! They are really nice blankets and you can't even feel the wires in it. THey are also fully washable.

Had that happen once back in Minnesota. We closed off all the rooms upstairs, put a mattress in front of the fireplace and all slept there. Body heat helped us keep warm. If we'd been out of wood, I'd have set up the tent in the living room and stayed in sleeping bags inside to keep warm. Kids do well with "playing camp". I heartily recommend having a tent and sleeping bags for when power goes out.

If you have any gallon milk jugs, fill them with hot water and put them under blankets with you. I feel for you!
sad.png

I should be so lucky. My furnace boiler/broke with temperatures of -16* predicted for tomorrow night. No fireplace or wood stove here. And oh yeah, the furnace also supplies hot water so no taking hot water bottles to bed. I would give anything for 7*. They will probably find my body frozen in the morning but then nobody ever checks on me anyway.

Quote:
Do you own a tent? Do you own sleeping bags? It may sounds silly but put up a tent in the warmest room and then sleep inside it. It'll help retain the heat from your bodies/breathing until the daytime.

BTW - is that -16C or -16F? Very different until you get to about -45.

Back
Top Bottom