it is always something

Lorettawyandotte

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
white springs, fl
night time it is the owls, 'possums, racoons and whatever else hunts by night...the day time it is the hawks...I have thus far not seen fox or had problems with prowling dogs...yesterday I shot a cat...I like cats...I hated doing that...it was hanging around my perimeter...napping in the grass outside the fence by my coop on many occasions...totally feral...everytime is saw me it would beat feet...so, late in the evening the cat was spotted coming out of the coop! I have a section in there with tasty chicken mcnuggets about five weeks old...just right for a cat to dine on...I lost my mind...got the shot gun and staked out a spot...shot the cat when it returned and did not see me waiting for it...this is not a diner! My poor darn chickens seem to be on everything's menu but mine...sorry for the vent but it does get annoying at times...

there was no reason to shoot the cat, feral or not, depending on the breed, 5 week old chicks are fairly big, unless your roosters are pretty much useless like ours, they'd have seen the cat.

cats eat SMALL animals, mice and such, I very seriously doubt it have taken a five week old, now newborn chick maybe, but 5 week old, I don't think so.

we have had a possum around here the past few nights, and somthing looks like it's been trying to dig under the duck fence, but I refilled it.

other than that, the dogs keep most things away.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Chicken is everyone's favorite meal. Here's hoping for better times (fingers crossed).
hmm.png

Quote:
I have seen feral cats kill pullets that are 4-5 months old and even try for adults! Guess it depends on the cat and how hungry it is.

Shoot the cat - I'd have done the same thing. Not only are feral cats a pain, but they can carry diseases that can be transferred to pet cats (FIV, FIP, Feline Leukemia) and you always have to wonder about rabies. Don't beat yourself up...I'm sure MANY others would have done the same.

The feral cats out our way are nothing like your typical house cat. Those that live long enough in the wild, dodging cougars, black bears, bobcats, coyotes etc., tend to be a very tough breed. I would put a feral "tom" just one notch below the bobcat on the predator list.
Taking one full size chicken? No problem.

a 5 week old chick is no match for a full grown feral cat,you did right by killing the cat and more than likely halted future problems,one feral cat makes more feral cats,,good job,,
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom