It is much quieter in the chicken yard tonight.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Well, we did it. 17 roos, and 1 blind pullet. There were 2 killing & cleaning, and 3 plucking, it took us about an hour and a half. I did feel bad, I did the catching, and could walk right up to them and pick them up. When I went out to check food and water tonight everyone was kind of tip toeing around me, like they were thinking, OK, she came in picked them up and left but they never came back, whats up and who's next.
    The smallest was the little blind pullet, she was only 3#, but she never went out side, and seldom got off the roost, just enough to eat a bit and drink. The largest was a home grown mix, Blk Aust x GSL, he dressed out 6.5# at 13 weeks.
    The worst for plucking were the Lav. Orps. They made your hands and their skin all black from the color in the base of the feathers, I kept them, they look real bad, I'm going to try a scrub brush and soap on them.
    I have 10 in my fridge, gave 2 to my friend that helped pluck, and 6 to the other friends that did the killing, cleaning, and helped pluck.
    Anyone else have a problem with the Lav. Orp, its like they have a strange dye in the feathers.
    All in all, it was a god day. I'm happy that I know I can do this, I think I may even be able to do the killing next time,
    and I know my pullets and hens are going to be much happier with 17 less roos in the mix.

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Wow 17 roosters, I bet it is MUCH more quiet around your yard. I have 6 to do in a couple more weeks. It is a first for me also. I hope it goes as smoothly as yours did!! I don't know anything about lav orps. Hopefully, someone who does will chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by