It just broke my heart I have to put my chicken down

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
It just broke my heart I have to put my chicken down. We was on the way to the vet she’s seven years old my husband heard her she couldn’t hardly breathe. So he said he would put her down and put her out of her misery. He looked on the Internet to see what’s the most humane way to put it her down. And it says neck stretching. I stayed there to try to calm her down a little bit so it wouldn’t be so terrible for her. He said he heard her neck break at first but I seen her body and I heard her scream and it broke my heart and I couldn’t stop crying. He said it’s just tremors. She was seven years old she was such a sweet chicken She would get on our laps just sit there. She wasn’t afraid. I hope to God she didn’t feel any of that.

I'm so sorry. I had a 6-7 year old die overnight a few weeks ago and my first thought was I sure hope she was not in pain as there was nothing wrong when I saw her the night before. You did the right thing not letting her be in pain. Just start thinking happy thoughts like new baby chicks :jumpy if you can. And the fact that she lived a long best life. There are way worst ways for chickens to go like to a predator. Take care.

I'm so sorry. I had a 6-7 year old die overnight a few weeks ago and my first thought was I sure hope she was not in pain as there was nothing wrong when I saw her the night before. You did the right thing not letting her be in pain. Just start thinking happy thoughts like new baby chicks :jumpy if you can. And the fact that she lived a long best life. There are way worst ways for chickens to go like to a predator. Take care.
Thank you

I'm sorry about your chicken. :hugs even if she did feel some discomfort, neck breaking is quick so I'm sure it wasn't long.
Sounds like she was very special and loved. ❤️

I'm sorry about your chicken. :hugs even if she did feel some discomfort, neck breaking is quick so I'm sure it wasn't long.
Sounds like she was very special and loved. ❤️
Thank you Yes I raised her since the baby chick. My chickens have a large backyard to run around in a nice Coop. She was so sweet she wasn’t afraid of me she would get on our laps. Cannot believe how this bothers me. I had a little chicken a few years back that passed away but she passed away because of the egg yolk broke in her And I did take her to the vet so they could tell me that then she lived about six or seven months later

Thank you Sorry for your loss too

It just broke my heart I have to put my chicken down. We was on the way to the vet she’s seven years old my husband heard her she couldn’t hardly breathe. So he said he would put her down and put her out of her misery. He looked on the Internet to see what’s the most humane way to put it her down. And it says neck stretching. I stayed there to try to calm her down a little bit so it wouldn’t be so terrible for her. He said he heard her neck break at first but I seen her body and I heard her scream and it broke my heart and I couldn’t stop crying. He said it’s just tremors. She was seven years old she was such a sweet chicken She would get on our laps just sit there. She wasn’t afraid. I hope to God she didn’t feel any of that.
I assure you she did not feel it. If they aren’t held down they can actually blast off at full speed even when not alive.

Im sure you did the right thing, sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom