It makes a difference

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Leia's Chickens, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    I thought this was a nice little story [​IMG]

It Makes a Difference
    by Loren Eisley
    One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?" The youth replied, "throwing the starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die." "Son," the man said, "don't you realize, there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!"
    After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it gently back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said..."
    "I made a difference for that one."

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I love that story. [​IMG] It shows the difference between the optimism of youth and the pessimism of age (of course, we all know older people who still dream big and live with a young heart, and young people who feel defeated before they're even adults...).

3. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    It is a great piece. I've read it many times.

And it's so true...

None of us can make a difference to everyone.
    But all of us can make a difference to someone.

4. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I love that story!

I need to keep printouts of that in my bag, for when people decide to criticize me for stray dog fostering and wildlife rehab...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by