It might be a silly question but I have to ask...

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
Hi. I'm going on Vacation for 6 days and am leaving 2 buff Orpington chicks (3weeks old) home with a pet sitter. I am trying to lap train these chicks since they are going to be family pets and it is going well so far. They come running when I go near the brooder and they love to be cuddled and held on shoulders. I am concerned that they will forget about me when I leave or even the progress I made will go backwards. I know this might be a silly question, but I just wanted to know what you guys think. Thanks for humoring me. 🙃

Sexed but one might be a rooster 😬. We hope not though.
Yes. The pet sitter will hold them as well

I've found that my hens that are okay with being held or sitting on someone are typically ok with it being anybody. If they are cool with humans then they are cool with humans, not only me, even though I'm the one who trained them / made them comfortable with people. It should be fine as long as the pet sitter keeps it up. Although, many of my chicks that liked to be held and climb all on my arms and shoulders have grown up to really not like it anymore, so sometimes you just can't force it.

When you come back they may be a little skittish around you for a day but then by the next day they will be fine. I left my 4 girls on a week long roadtrip and when I came back they were spooked of me but they then remembered who I was and jumped into my lap again.

Back
Top Bottom