it seems there is hardly any fans of the rhode island red on here

We have excellent New Hampshire Reds, a variant breed, originally from Murray McMurray, and we love them. They are fabulous producers, though not known for their kindness to those lower on the pecking order . . .

I have 7 RIR hens and 1 rooster. Right now they're cooped with my guineas. Haven't started laying yet but they should be soon. They're 16 weeks this week.

I have 2 reds. They are going on 4 months. One might be a roo. I also have 2 BOs. The red has bigger comb and wattles than the other 3. But I've seen pics of red Roos with very large combs and wattles. There's a couple of greenish feathers in the tail. They aren't big and curling down. This chicken, Millie is either the dominant hen or like I said, a roo. Not aggressive but she does chest bump and fluff feathers to the other 3. I can't seem to post pics sorry. I will keep the bird unless there is aggression harming the others. They can't free range. Soon I will have a run to move them around in.

I have 2 R I Rs too. One is questionable about pullets or rooster. Slightly larger than the other comb and waddles bigger tha the other. The tail feathers don't. Have the pretty long green feathers. They are 14 weeks. Not aggressive but does chest bump and fluff feathers. No attempts to crow. No signs of spurs. I've seen pics of red roosters at this age with much larger comb and wattles. I can't seem to post pics accept under my profile page. I want to keep the bird regardless unless aggression becomes a problem. I can't free range for several reasons. So I don't want a rooster injuring the other 3. This is my first time raising chickens. They are so much fun to watch and care for. I have 2 Orpingtons. Very sweet. Hoping that someone might have an opinion based on my discription of my red.

Back
Top Bottom