It THIS coop good for me?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenPeep, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Okay, yes i will admit, i have had this same title for another thread (not duploicate thred, just another coop). On the other thread, everyone told me that the coop was definitely not worth buying which im grateful for because i might have enden up getting it! Now im wondering about this coop. I have 7 chickens, but ive decided to get 2 coops because not all of my chickens get along. I was woondering about this coop for 3-4 chickens. Is this good for me? (see below link)
    http://shedkitstore.com/le-coop-chicken-coop-p-352.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i think its pretty

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes it is! But do you think its a good coop for me?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Sure it's a good coop for up to 6 chickens. I just don't see why you don't build one or hire a neighbor to do it in a day. For 3 sheets of exterior plywood sheathing, a length of roofing, about 9 sticks of 2X3's and 1- 4x4 and a handy neighbor...Voila! Cheaper and built in place. You could even vent it better, make it slightly larger to accomedate all your chickens.

6. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Costs way too much! Course that's just my opinion, which with a couple pennies added, is worth about 2 cents. [​IMG]

7. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Is this good for me?

No! This is not a good coop for anyone. If you look at the bottom picture you will see that there is no available floor space for the chickens in winter.
    And this was built by someone who does not own chickens. A chicken owner would never put a roost over an open nest box! Poop everywhere! The same coop with external nest boxes would be just fine.

It's a good size for about 4 hens (max). Seems a bit pricey though, to me.
    http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp? … &ts=go

Check this site.

That site is all the Ware crap coops. The biggest waste of money for the crappiest smallest stinkiest coops. Stay Away!​

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You could even rent to own a small shed which would require little in the way of customizing. Also check local ads for repo sheds. You may be able to get a larger shed/coop as a repo deal. If you're able, or know someone who is, to do a little constructional changes, you can save $$$

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Seems like it would be just big enough. A bit pricey for my taste, but Im used to just paying for the supplies and not the labor involved in building one...well that and Im super frugal. Does it require assembly?

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Sorry, It doesn't look so hot to me either.

These are the things that struck me as off:
    -Galvanized floor liner- could spilt water get under it and swell up that osb? Cold in winter , hot in summer and potential to cut feet.
    -It says the OSB siding is primed. It would need a really good paint job both inside and out to hold up outside.
    -Roost board is skinny side up. Much better for chicken to have a wider roost. and the way it is positioned center of coop, there is no place for a nesting box, food or water.
    Your chooks would poo on everything when roosting.
    -Those "nesting dividers" are wierd. Not sure my layers would know the difference between a divider wall and the middle of the coop.
    -Whole thing only weighs 75 lbs. A good storm would probably blow it away.

Good Points:
    -Pressure treated legs will last a long time.
    -Gotta love Free Shipping.

Find a handyman and see what you can get built for $500.00. Or check Craigs list for a second hand shed. Sorry, it sounds like you are trying hard to find something. I wish you luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by