It was a good weekend

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaddyChicken, Oct 31, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    We have five hens (2-RIR's, 2-BR's and 1-BO), all 22-24 weeks old. One BR and the BO started laying in the begining of October and I could see that the others were showing signs that they were getting ready to start laying (combs getting larger, frequent visits to the coop/nest box and they have become more friendly). So Saturday my son noticed that the BR that had not yet laid an egg, was staying in the coop while the BO was on the nest which was not normal for her. She ended up leaving us a gift later that day and yesterday, Sunday, one of our RIR's laid her first egg which was XL [​IMG]
    So now four of our five hens are laying and I'm looking for the other RIR to start this week because of the way she has been acting. It's crazy that chickens can be so exciting...

Here is a picture of my son with yesterdays eggs...
    [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Awww... Cute picture!

Don't drop those eggs.[​IMG]. It's a bummer when your chickens first start laying and you drop an egg! I've done it a few times already. Congrats on your first eggs!

3. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    So far, after 47 eggs, only one has been dropped on the counter and it only cracked the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by