It was all a whirlwind!

Thanks everyone! We are having so much fun watching the babies and learning their personalities. It's still hard to tell them apart but it's coming along. Hubby says it will be "the" coop! There will only be one. He pretends not to be impressed but I see him in there watching them! He was even holding them yesterday so he will be hooked before long. hahahha I was wondering about the grit. I didn't know how much to put in their dish everyday. Thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate all of you!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
It was great you did your research before getting started. You were better prepared to handle the over zealous sales clerk. Someone mentioned that you don't need grit because it is in the feed already. That is incorrect. Feed does not contain grit. If your chicks are just eating their crumbles then that is easy to digest and you won't need grit. If they are getting treats they will need the grit. I'm guessing with all the research you already know what it's for.
I would recommend having some corid handy incase you get cocci in the flock. I keep it on hand in the powder form so it is shelf stable for years. Cocci is pretty common and you want to treat it asap.
I had my chicks on shavings too and the only problem I had was when they would poop and then step in it. Just make sure the stuff doesn't get stuck and turns hard. This was only for the first month when their droppings were sticky.
We are all excited for you. You did a great job on your first day. Sorry you didn't get to pick out the chicks. It does look like the clerk pick out a nice selection. Best of luck to you!!!
Welcome to BYC.

Thanks everyone! We are having so much fun watching the babies and learning their personalities. It's still hard to tell them apart but it's coming along. Hubby says it will be "the" coop! There will only be one. He pretends not to be impressed but I see him in there watching them! He was even holding them yesterday so he will be hooked before long. hahahha I was wondering about the grit. I didn't know how much to put in their dish everyday. Thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate all of you!
hugs.gif
Fish, meet hook, get a fork(and new tool bag, he's gonna need it), he's done!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom