It was big, black and flying!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I was dead asleep and heard the girls outside my window having a fit! So I got up and looked. Aubry (my male Pekin) and one of the girls were running from something that was chasing them, but it was flying. At the same time it was dark so I couldn't see exactly what is was and I was still mostly asleep squinting my eyes! I threw on my robe and ran to the back door and flipped on the back lights. There was nothing, what ever it was had left already so I went out in the cold, wet grass (IN BARE FEET)and found my other girl hiding in the corner of the yard. Everyone was fine.

So I finally get back in, dry off my feet get in bed and the alarm goes off! Figures!
he.gif

Yeah, they won't be sleeping by the light of the moon anymore, they will be locked in. I lost 2 this week, I am NOT losing anymore!

I understand that whatever it is has to eat ,but it can go eat somewhere else!

This has been the worst year for predators around here!

We had a HUGE problem with owls while I was growing up. Some of our chickens used to sleep on tree branches inside the open-top pen. (Probably because we had so many that they had segregated themselves into separate flocks, and only the "first" flock was allowed to sleep in the coop.)

Eventually, a very large owl started picking them off at night, so my dad built a "hunter's blind" out of tree branches, where he hid with his shotgun until he caught it in the act! That was my dad's solution, although I think he went about it the hard way, if you ask me. I just built a large enough coop to accomodate many birds, and put a top on the pen.
wink.png

Hey Bec
Glad it didn't get anyone
clap.gif

It has been a real bad year for predators - I am down to 2 BH
I also like Owls but not when they are going after my pets.

Hope you can get everyone inside at night -

Back
Top Bottom