Itching From Chicken???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadee2, Dec 24, 2008.

1. chickadee2

chickadee2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    [​IMG] Our 8 week old barred rock hops on my shoulder every time I go in the coop. The last day or so, I have been itching. Could there be some parasite that would transfer to me? Glug! If so, what should I do? Has anyone else had this happen? Do you let your chickens ride on your shoulder? Thanks for the help.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't let them hop up because of poopy feet and the danger of literally having my eye scratched or pecked at by little feet that will grow up to big feet.

As for paracties. Lice are species specific so can't live on you. Perhaps they are moulting into big bird feathers so their bits of dust is making you itch.

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Probably you are alergic to bird dander. Did you wash or dust them with anything? That could make you itch also.

4. chookee

chookee New Egg

Dec 24, 2008
    its probably mites

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Could be Scabies, they are mites.

6. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    Chcken pox [​IMG][​IMG]

7. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    When my birds get mites I know it because I itch lik crazy after being near them. Thier mites do get on me somehow, but a plain old shower washes them away.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you suspect mites, check the feathrs on the nape of the neck, under the tail, and on the back. You should see them runing around. If so, treat with a poultry dust of your choice and the problem should be gone. Better for you and the birds.

9. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I don't want to give you a fright but if it is bad could it be northern fowl mite?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by