It's 13 degrees outside...And I am worried

Pics
Hi @Wee Farmer Sarah !

Even today, I gathered 4 eggs from the ten girls I have and they have been laying naturally without forced light. Yes, the others have stopped but my husband and I don't want to force production...for us, it is not necessary.
I don't like it either. A couple months rest every year is a good idea don't you think? (Besides, just run out and get a new, young chick that lays eggs through their first winter....) (ooww that is so wrong..sorry)

That is what I've been doing lately @Manhen, got 8 this past June. 6 of them are laying. But of course how often I do this does have to be dictated by how many hens I've got. I had 23 now and I think that is about as many as I want. So now it will be "replace those that die or get taken by a predator". Hopefully none of the latter anymore since I upgraded the fence. BUT that does rely on the girls staying on their side of it. If they decide to go AWOL there isn't much I can do about it.

If they decide to go AWOL there isn't much I can do about it.
That's right. I have a 6' fence. The afternoon after putting it up my nephew and I are standing next to a coil of the left over, it had 18-24" around on the inside of the coil. We had an owl-headed rooster that wouldn't settle down and was deposited in the coil. It was up and out in less than 2 seconds. I think it bounced back and fourth, and was able to use it's wings on the fencing, right up and out the top. Glad I saw it. Nephew looked at me and said "that's not good". Luckily that bird was desperate and was driven to extremes. I think my birds don't really want out because none of them have topped it.

I think 6' might be max for most chickens. I have some that can fly to the top of a 5' fence but I'm not sure they could go 6'.
There is always one that will sometime I am sure. They can climb, I have seen a young chick, several weeks maybe, climb some 1" welded wire fence that we used as a pen. It climbed about a foot in front of my eyes. Hooked it's beak, then advanced its claws, and so on. Fast to.

I have 1 older hen (might have been 2, cant remember). Last winter she did fine down to zero. Below zero I just ran an extension cord and used a heat lamp. One night was -54° here and she was just fine. Orpington have plenty of meat though.
I am though worried about my pullets. They are about 22 weeks and in a plastic toy house roosting. But I'm sure they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom