It's a girl....? It's a boy....?

Jess_me

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
We got 3 chicks from a local hatchery on February 15th. Originally we were hoping to get 3 or 4 Blue Australorp but one was sold just before we arrived. The lady we bought from graciously gave us a Barred Rock chick for free. Of course we aren't going to refuse lol. Unfortunately, we don't know if they are all female or if we have a roo or 2...or 3 (hopefully not.) They were sold as straight run. I've looked through a few threads on here about Barred Rock chicks and I'm honestly still not sure. Maybe someone here could take a guess? From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's going to take a while to find out if the Australorp chicks are male or female.
I know eventually time will tell. But honestly it's driving me nuts. Also...we can't have more than one roo due to city limit ordinances.

Our Barred Rock.
Notice the dark leg wash...
Screenshot_20230223-090348_Gallery.jpg

Spot on it's head. Doesn't look too defined but Idk...?
20230223_091318.jpg

I don't have another to compare it to but this one looks like it has darker feathers.
20230223_083147.jpg

Left profile view. Sorry for the quality. This was taken through playpen mesh lol.
20230223_085418.jpg

Only somewhat decent pic of the Australorp chicks together lol.
20230223_085500.jpg

The one with the brighter white wing tip and the Barred Rock seem to be battling for the top of the pecking order title.
20230223_083106.jpg

Attachments

• 20230223_091318.jpg
    20230223_091318.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 1
Were they sold as sexed pullets? Usually hatcheries are 90% accurate on sexing….
But for us to tell, they are much too young. Show us pics at 5-6 weeks
WELCOME to BYC!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you around….

Were they sold as sexed pullets? Usually hatcheries are 90% accurate on sexing….
But for us to tell, they are much too young. Show us pics at 5-6 weeks
WELCOME to BYC!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you around….
They were not. The hatchery we bought from is still somewhat new and they do not have anyone skilled to do vent sexing.

The BR still looks female to me, even though her comb is a bit bigger than other BR pullets I have seen.

The other two look female to me as well. Do the australorps have single combs? It almost looks like they have pea combs in the picture.

Last edited:
The BR still looks female to me, even though her comb is a but bigger than other BR pullets I have seen.

The other two look female to me as well. Do the australorps have single combs? It almost looks like they have pea combs in the picture.
It's hard to tell with the Australorps since they seem more camera shy lol. I really don't see much of a comb on them at all.

It's hard to tell with the Australorps since they seem more camera shy lol. I really don't see much of a comb on them at all.
Yeah, they might be a mixed breed if you don't see a clear single comb. That's all good, though, they may have an interesting egg color if that is true.

Back
Top Bottom