It's a sad day in our home.

Lifestudent

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Our dog was harassing our rooster recently after pulling some of our rooster's feathers out while he was injured. Today while we were at church she went on a rampage and killed the rooster and 5 of our hens. Now we need to get rid of our dog, who we've had for 12 years. It's heartbreaking. She's been such a good dog, but when she turned she went nuts. We still have 6 hens, but my wife and I had gotten very attached to our chickens.We also are attached to our dog, but my wife wants me to have it gone tomorrow before she gets home from work.

I'm very sorry for your situation. I am going to be blunt though. If you take her to a shelter or animal control, she will most likely be euthanized. I worked in animal shelters for a number of years and often had to make decisions on which animals went up for adoption. Her age alone is a big negative.

Is there any way that the dog can be seperated from the birds? Even if she is chained (if legal where you are) while you are not home may be a better option.

I am assuming she is a larger dog so she may be towards the end of her life expectency. You may want to consider having her put to sleep.

Whatever you decide, please be honest with whoever takes her and let them know she has killed chickens.

Again, I'm sorry for being blunt. You may want to take a day or two and let the emotions subside a bit before deciding to get rid of her. Decisions shouldn't be made in the heat of the moment.

What's heartbreaking is that you consider the only option here is to dump a dog you have had for TWELVE YEARS. There are many other options - not letting her out when the birds are out, confine either her or the birds or both, training her, supervision, and I could go on.

But if you go through with the decision to get rid of her then do the responsible thing and take her to your vet to be euthanized.

What's heartbreaking is that you consider the only option here is to dump a dog you have had for TWELVE YEARS. There are many other options - not letting her out when the birds are out, confine either her or the birds or both, training her, supervision, and I could go on.

But if you go through with the decision to get rid of her then do the responsible thing and take her to your vet to be euthanized.
euthinasia isn't the only option! Try to find the dog a home if it isn't agressive

euthinasia isn't the only option! Try to find the dog a home if it isn't agressive

I suggested this as the OP stated it had to go tomorrow. Finding a GOOD home in less than 24 hours is very unrealistic. I hope the OP takes some time to think about this.

It is a very sad situation.

Aw, you had the dog for 12 years. How sad you have to go through something like this after all this time. Although I understand your anger, I say wait a few days to allow things to cool down. Meanwhile fortify your chicken pen and take measures to keep your dog away from the chickens. After 12 years the dog has earned her chance to be forgiven at least one time.

I'm not going to take her to the animal shelter, and I'm not going to just dump her out. Hopefully by tomorrow my wife will be calmer. Keeping her chained works for me, but my wife wants me to get rid of her. Yes, I would be honest with anyone we give her to. It really hurts to have to make a decision like this.

Jdywntr, Shasta is about 35 pounds so she's not a large dog. Animallover505, what I mean by going crazy is we found 6 chickens scattered throughout our back yard. Three of the surviving chickens were hiding between a shed and our house where she couldn't see them. I would really like to keep her, but restrain her from getting to the chickens, but right now my wife is very angry. I'm having to think things out before I actually take action.

Back
Top Bottom