It's a sad fact of life..............

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jacyjones, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    that there are so many dishonest people in the world preying on others!

My daughter, away at uni in Swansea UK, discovered last night that her card details have been used in the Far East to withdraw 3,000 HKD from her account. this means she has had nearly £300 taken out of her account. Luckily we were on the phone when she looked at her account online and so she immediately called to report it! they cancelled her card and a new one will be sent but this could take a week!! She has £10 in her purse and will have to borrow from a friend until she gets the new card!

It makes me very sad to think this is the kind of world we live in. She knows a few students this has happened to recently so it seems an ATM they use has been tampered with. She has been told to go to the bank and fill in a form to get her money back so hopefully she will be reimbused but the fact that this can happen is quite alarming and makes you suspicious of everyone around you, especially in a city.

So...................take care everyone and check your account everyday if you can!!

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hi Jaci,

It is sad, and sorry for your daughter. It is a real shame that with all the new technology, the only use these peole can find for it is to rip off others.

If ever your daughter has serious problems, you know I am not that far away.

Jena.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like identity theft is rampant everywhere.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It is indeed. It happened to us last year. My husband was checking the credit card account and saw that nearly £3000 had been spent in a designer clothes shop. He knew immediately that it wasn't something I would do and called the credit card company. Thankfully we got it sorted and the money was credited back to us. How they got the info we will never know, but we are especially careful these days. I'm sorry it happened to your daughter Jacy.

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My brother was returning from a missionary trip in Russia, he decided to make a phone call to my mother to let her know they were in the states. A police officer came up behind my brother while at the pay phone and informed him that they had caught an individual standing over head (balcony) with binoculars that had several credit card numbers written down with names (He had used his credit card to charge the phone call). My brother had to go verify that his number and name were indeed on the list the guy had written! Makes you not want to trust anyone.

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

I had someone charge a $3000 plane ticket on my card to somewhere overseas on e evening. My credit card company was wonderful - the very next day they called me to see if I had charged that because it didn't fit with my normal spending habits. I didn't even know about it yet! They handled everything quickly - cancelled the account and got me a new card and took card of the issues.

It's sad that this can happen so easily, but my credit card company really impressed me. I'm sorry that it had to happen to your daughter!

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hubby & I were producing a low budget movie (it's a turkey) and he faxed an order in for film. Somebody got the cc info and charged $11,000 on our cc in Granada somewhere, hotels, food, bar......Luckily, the cc company called us to ask if it was us, and we prooved it wasn't us and they fixed the problem.

It's awful that you have to look over your shoulder to go to the bank. All I've been reading in the local newspapers lately is bank robberies, and house break-ins.

It's probably going to get worse since the economy stinks.

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks for your replies and thank you Jena - you are nearer than me and it is nice to know you are there if help is needed!!

A work colleague was telling me her daughter was caught in London when she used an ATM - the gang had a room in a building opposite and were photographing to get the pin number when the machine was used. It is frightening what technology can do - perhaps we should go back to money under the mattress!!

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A couple summers ago, we had someone use our credit card to remove almost $4000 from our account. Luckily we caught it quickly and have a wonderful credit union, so we got it all back. Several years ago, I found that someone had been using my maiden name and DL number to pass bad checks. I still haven't managed to get some companies to take my name and number off the check reporting company's list.

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    No Problem Jacy,

I know from my sons travelling it is always nice to know there is somewhere closer they can go if they need to.

I am not really sure of the distance, but I was really thinking of the drive, I know it is all small roads for you to come down and at least I am right by the motorway. It is amazing how longit takes to travel north to south in Wales, compared to east to west..... lol... geography eh?

I don't deal with Credit cards at all. But it is amazing how little people want to deal with cash these days.

because of all the uncertainty, I only have a pre-pay card, and I will charge it only when I really need to use it for convenience.

Then I know nobody can take too much. I do pay for the privilege, but I sleep nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by